Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeanderson3
Surveyor II

Lesson Planning Page Idea

Jump to solution

Herre goes...

I was navigating around in Canvas to try to find a way to create a lesson plan that is not published or visible to students, but instead, a place where I can write myself a bulleted list of topics for lecture and demonstration.

I teach in higher education at the 2 year college level and my classes are lab classes teaching architectural drafting and design. In the earlier weeks of the course, there is a steep learning curve for novice students, who in turn, have many questions. Rather than react, I want to be more proactive and produce demonstrations and/or lecture notes that only I have access to, so that the standard assignment narrative that every student works from is not interrupted.

Here's my idea (comment on the best current workaround): Find a way to write a lecture/demo note page that nests under the primary assignment page that remains unpublished to students, but is not residing inside a normal module assembly. In other words, something like a page link embedded in the assignment page that only I have access to.

I open the assignment page just like a student, but I have one more page link titled 'plan' or something that I click to open my notes.

Is this arrangement currently possible? If not, what is your best suggestion?##

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Kelley,

Your advice is how my courses are set up. The only access to content is through the modules navigation link. Much cleaner appearance and operation.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
dejonghed07
Adventurer

Hi  @jeanderson3 ‌

We use an unpublished module before or after the published student modules that’s named “Facilitator Notes” or “Instructor Notes”. It allows easy access to pages, files and urls as needed. Instructors can post future ideas they have for a course there too.

Thank you Denise. Interesting idea. I'll look at that.

My idea was that if a lesson plan page could be nested in the assignment page, and only accessible to the instructor, then it remains persistent with the main assignment page and should be easy to access on days we have in person classes. Over time, as courses get copied into new quarters, the architecture of the assignment and all the lecture notes remains persistent.

Additionally, since I teach software that gets updated every year, content in each of my assignments needs to be reviewed for editing after the new release. Therefore, navigating between modules to access the lecture notes and assignment content would be less efficient.

My idea surfaced because of the available page editing restriction afforded to instructors, allowing students access to the page, but no rights to edit its content. It's just an extension of that function, where now a page's visibility follows the same logic.

Thanks for providing more details about your goal. Great idea to add the ability to include hidden instructor lesson notes when editing the assignment. It seems like something that could be developed as an LTI for the Rich Content Editor.

jeanderson3
Surveyor II

Ok, so the current workaround is as I thought. I can create a Page lesson plan notes, etc., leaving it unpublished. I can access it, edit it, etc. However, students still see the page link. They receive the 'Unauthorized' warning when they attempt to access the page.

This works, but isn't ideal. My idea was to have this functionality but in a transparent way.

Hi  @jeanderson3 ‌

An easy fix for that is to hide the Pages Index from students. I include all content needed for a unit of study in that unit's module, then hide all the other individual content areas. Not only does it give me better control over what students see and where, it also is less confusing for students.

Kelley

That’s what we do too: limit navigation by using modules as the homepage and disabling pages and many other navigation items. I forget that others choose to enable Pages on their navigation menu.

Kelley,

Your advice is how my courses are set up. The only access to content is through the modules navigation link. Much cleaner appearance and operation.

View solution in original post

jeanderson3
Surveyor II

I'll start using unpublished pages as Assignment notes placeholders for now. It seems to be the most central approach to what I'm asking for.

If the RCE does evolve in time so that additional functions are natively available, maybe a tooltip control would work. For example, an instructor highlights a string of text, link, etc and a built-in notes tooltip appears where the instructor annotate the content.