cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Let me just copy my Latex into the editor please.

Hello,

Please incorporate Latex into the editor.  It would be very helpful.

8 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

If this is for math equations:

In Classic Quizzes you can switch the math editor to Advanced, which transforms it into Latex.

In New Quizzes, it uses Mathquill which is similar to Latex but not exactly the same, but you can paste it and do tweaks.

Highlighted
Navigator

You can use LaTeX with New Quizzes. You just need to surround it with the \( and \).

Unfortunately, you cannot with the existing Rich Content Editor or the New Rich Content editor, which are used everywhere else in the core Canvas product.

This really sounds like more of a feature idea as there's not actually a question here. Although, if your feature request is to fix this with quizzes, they'll say it's already completed in New Quizzes. If you say your idea is to fix it in old quizzes, they'll say they're not developing Classic Quizzes anymore and it's already been completed in New Quizzes. Your feature idea would need to be specific to the Rich Content Editor (RCE). I seem to remember some ideas already about taking the equation editor from New Quizzes and using it for the RCE but I can't find it right now. There are some feature ideas for doing it the other way around (that would be a mistake) or for incorporating MathJax (I'm not really sure what they're after on that one).

Here are some of those feature ideas.

There have been a couple of threads here about how to copy/paste content including equations, but it's not as easy as \( and \). Here are some of those threads.

Highlighted
Community Member

Thanks for the info.  I have looked at one of the links you shared.  I will take a look at the others.  I realize now I should have posted this as a feature request.  I am using old Quizzes and I can past in text straight from my Latex documents if they were between \[\], but anything that was in text mode, has to be changed back into math mode.  It is a big pain. I wish there was a way to copy and paste.  Also, tables don't work and neither do enumerate or itemize.  

Highlighted
Community Member

I just realized that I could wrap \text{} around my Latex and that solves a lot of problems.

Highlighted

The only support for LaTeX inside Canvas is for math content. If you want to write your entire page in LaTeX, then you would need to convert it to HTML and then you might be able to paste the HTML into the HTML editor mode. However, Canvas does sanitize some HTML and doesn't accept everything that is valid.

Wrapping your text in \text{} should be very limited. From an accessibility perspective, it is better to have text as text so the screen readers can read it properly. The equations in classic quizzes come through as images, and the alternate tag is the LaTeX code.

Highlighted
Surveyor II

This sort of works for me.  Since everything I write is in LaTex - syllabi, math tests, etc, when I have to put that content into Canvas, I convert the *.tex to *.html using Pandoc (Pandoc - About pandoc ) .  Then I copy paste the *.html into Canvas.  It works OK.   It doesn't solve the \item, \subitem problems (\enumerate either) but that is a problem with Pandoc, not with Canvas.

Highlighted

Thanks.  I have also relied on upmath.me.  The only problem with it is that it uses $$ notation instead of \[ \] notation.  It handles \item, \subitem, \enumerate, very well.

Highlighted

I just tried the pandoc and Upmath.me works better I think.  Pandoc didn't handle \; nor mathbb{} correctly.