cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

Link between two Canvas courses

Jump to solution

If a student is in two Canvas courses can I create a link in one Canvas course to connect to a module in another Canvas course?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Navigator

101468@ocps.net 

You can, but it has issues.

For students using the mobile student app, they will see the menu for the course they were in on the left, but the module in the linked course on the right. If they click the Back button at the top of the right panel, they go back to the original course.

As you use it, the modules from the first course stay on the left and when you click on a module item on the right side, it goes to that item. Then the back button takes you back to the module list in the second course so you're back to having lists from separate courses.

Links are not usually student specific, so you would want to make sure that all of the students who had access to it belonged to the other class. Otherwise they would get an authorization error saying they cannot see the content.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Navigator

101468@ocps.net 

You can, but it has issues.

For students using the mobile student app, they will see the menu for the course they were in on the left, but the module in the linked course on the right. If they click the Back button at the top of the right panel, they go back to the original course.

As you use it, the modules from the first course stay on the left and when you click on a module item on the right side, it goes to that item. Then the back button takes you back to the module list in the second course so you're back to having lists from separate courses.

Links are not usually student specific, so you would want to make sure that all of the students who had access to it belonged to the other class. Otherwise they would get an authorization error saying they cannot see the content.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thank you! I teach 2nd so I'm trying to streamline all these courses for the littles. I plan to hide all the menu items on the left and ONLY show HOME on the left menu.  Every item (assignment, discussion, etc.) in a Module will have an icon to return HOME to the original (homeroom) course. For students using the Mobile app will the menu still show the Modules on the left menu even if I hide it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

The modules do still show up on the left hand side in the Mobile app, even if the Modules are disabled for the course navigation. I also changed the homepage to be something other than modules (which is how I normally use it) and it still showed the modules on the left hand side of the mobile app.

It only shows the items you have enabled in the course navigation, but it still shows them.

There's not really a great solution here that will be a seemless integration if you're trying to link from one course to another.

If you knew that everyone was using a browser, then I would recommend, instead of putting HOME on every item, is to use the Redirect Tool to add that link to the course navigation menu. I would call it something other than "HOME" since there is already a "Home" link that you cannot get rid of there. I would probably call it "Homeroom" or some other name that a 2nd grader could understand.

To install the Redirect Tool, go to the course Settings page, then choose the Apps tab, and start typing Redirect Tool into the filter box. Once you get there, you'll want to enable the course navigation option.

The problem with the mobile app is that it opens up a browser on the mobile device and loads the page there, taking you out of the mobile app completely.

2nd graders can be adept at technology (my daughter just finished 2nd grade) and it may be easier to teach them how to use Courses button or the Dashboard to navigate between courses. That is seemless and works well. You may also want to incorporate a course card image on each of the courses so they can visually distinguish between the courses rather than relying on words alone. Do not color to code the courses, though. The colors are chosen at the user level, so they may decide that all courses should be green because that's their favorite color and it would be green overlaid on top of the color you picked.

I'm not sure where you're from, but most of my 2nd grader's courses were all taught by the same teacher (except for music, art, and PE). They would have mixed math, reading, and the other courses into the same course rather than having a separate course for each one.

0 Kudos
Labels