Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Link to SINGLE Module

Jump to solution

Hello Everyone,

Perhaps this is a no-brainer but it has passed me right on by......So I will appreciate the help (don't judge Smiley Happy )

When I layout a front page, I like to use "tiles" that I create to take students directly to certain places within the course.  I lay the tiles out in a table format which makes it easy for students to log in and go directly to places such as "homework submission", "chapter 1 resources" "chapter 2 resources" etc...

I have my "Chapter 1 Resources", "Chapter 2 Resources" and "Chapter 3 Resources" set up as Modules and the tiles for each are linked to those modules; however, when students click on the "Chapter 1 Resources" tile they are taken to the screen that contains all of the modules "Chapter 1 Resources", "Chapter 2 Resources" and "Chapter 3 Resources" right there together.

I don't want that.  I want to have them JUST go to the "Chapter 1 Resources" module or JUST go to the "Chapter 2 Resources" module etc.

I know I can control what is open with dates but I don't want to close information just because it has passed.

Is this even possible??

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Learner II

Hi bdodson94@su.edu

Following on from stefaniesanders's advice, here is a suggestion for a simple workaround that might achieve what you're looking for. For each of the modules, create an extra wiki page that will act as a kind of module introduction/table of contents. You could start the page with some brief text describing the module, then add some text listing the items in the module - similar to what the student would see if they went to the module itself. Each item in the list could be made into a hyperlink pointing to the relevant page. Make this introduction page the first item in the module and then link to that page (rather than the module itself) from your home page. When students are taken to the intro page they can either follow one of the hyperlinks to go straight to a specific item, or use the next/previous buttons to go through the module in order.

Hope that makes sense!

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

bdodson94@su.edu​, you can't do exactly what you're hoping to do. In other words, you can create a link to a single module, but when the student clicks on the link, she will be taken to the Modules page with a focus on the single module--and the other modules will also be arrayed on that page. If that will work for you, you'd do that by using the Content Selector panel to the right of the Rich Content Editor--and then expand the Modules category in the Links tab to select a specific module to which to link.

For additional guidance on how to link to a single module, please refer to How do I insert links to course content into the Rich Content Editor using the Content Selector? .

If that won't work for you, a feature idea for the single module to display alone on a page upon navigation was put forward for Community consideration-- --but was archived due to its relatively low vote total. I don't think it has been resubmitted, so if this is something you think Canvas should have, you can resubmit the idea for reconsideration in the next voting cycle after searching the Canvas Feature Ideas space for another existing idea, and after reading How do I create a new feature idea?

Highlighted
Learner II

Hi bdodson94@su.edu

Following on from stefaniesanders's advice, here is a suggestion for a simple workaround that might achieve what you're looking for. For each of the modules, create an extra wiki page that will act as a kind of module introduction/table of contents. You could start the page with some brief text describing the module, then add some text listing the items in the module - similar to what the student would see if they went to the module itself. Each item in the list could be made into a hyperlink pointing to the relevant page. Make this introduction page the first item in the module and then link to that page (rather than the module itself) from your home page. When students are taken to the intro page they can either follow one of the hyperlinks to go straight to a specific item, or use the next/previous buttons to go through the module in order.

Hope that makes sense!

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Terrific Idea!!!  Thanks!!

Highlighted

Yes, I think this is a great idea. Usually, the weekly navigation link will point to the page where we create, as an ID, if we can create a weekly outcome page, including the content of weekly. I assume that help student to follow up.

Best

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

stefaniesanders When I see old courses, people have added links to modules. For example, ........courses/773189/modules#module_617512

I am assuming at some point you could do that. I wonder why it was removed. Is there a way to get that module unique id number?

Highlighted

dtirthal@brown.edu​, I think the confusion here stems from what is meant by "linking to a module." It is possible to create a navigation link that will direct the student to a specific module, and you can get that module's unique ID number easily, by using the Content Selector panel (linking content to the page by using the right panel, and selecting the specific module from the modules list). --but in reality, what that link does is (1) navigate to the entire modules list and (2) position the page so that the linked module is at the top. In other words, it isn't displaying just the one module when someone clicks on the link, and I think that's what the people in this discussion are wanting.

Highlighted

ah. Thank you for the clarification.

Labels