Linked video from GDrive doesn't play in iOS app

Jump to solution
joshhartung
Community Member

When attempting to play video linked from Google Drive in the iOS app, the player hangs and becomes unresponsive. The preview loads correctly but when the player is activated, it loads momentarily and then freezes black. This behavior is similar in Safari, but the "external link" button in the top right is still active and allows a new tab to open with the video directly in GDrive.

Here's a video of the behavior: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1dhv8h4z644yvnl/IMG_4086.mov?dl=0

Two threads indicate this is a known issue, but would love some feedback for the teacher if there is a different way to link the video:

This is a real problem because it requires our 6 year old to leave the app to perform any assignments. Any help would be appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution
rseilham
Community Champion

@joshhartung

I looked over this myself and I see the same issue when embedding the video. My only suggestions are at this point are: 

1. Link to the video from Canvas. This will take the user to the Safari browser, which isn't ideal, but the video is working. 
  2. Upload the video to YouTube and leave it unlisted. Then you can use the embed tools in Canvas because YouTube does work with the Canvas Student app. 
  3. Report this issue to your local support and "Report an Issue" under the Help section of the app. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes