cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Linking from course to course

Can you link from one course to another?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Learner II

Interesting idea coleypx@pwcs.edu . My gut tells me two things when I think about this:
1. It might be confusing for students if a link suddenly switches which course shell they are in. Opening in a new tab and labelling very clearly would help with this.

2. The same set of users would need access to both courses to avoid getting an Access Denied error when clicking the links that cross over from one course to the other.

More information about the case might help - are the two courses part of the same program?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

WOW, thanks for such a quick response Tim.  Here's a little more information.  I am a fourth grade teacher and would like to have students just go to my homeroom course if possible.  All of my students will be assign to all of my courses, i.e. math, reading, etc.
What I hoping to do is to have a module in my homeroom course for daily work.  In that module, I wanted to have a link to an assignment or page in another course, say reading.  The hope was that kids go click on that link go to that assignment or page in the reading module and do that activity.  That way they wouldn't have to read the directions in homeroom and then open the reading course to do the actual activity.  Is that possible?  Our district will not have the quizzes sync with our HUB(LMS) this year but if they do in the future, would this interfere?  I of course would want reading grades to be associated with the reading course and so on.
Phyllis
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Learner II

It definitely sounds workable! Yes, since your students will each be in all of your courses, that will make it more clear that your homeroom course acts as a node to link out to all of the others. By placing all the graded activities in the proper course shell (ie reading activities in the reading course shell) you will ensure all the grades also live in that course shell which should make it easy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Great.  One more question:  How do I do the links?  When I go to make a link, the other course modules do not show up?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Learner II

Good question there's a few ways I can think of:
-Building links into individual pages using hyperlinks

-Adding links to Modules using the External URL option

-If you have the Redirect Tool you could add a course navigation link to each course from the homeroom course

Please be aware that if you copy this course in a future year, the links will all need to be updated manually, I don't know that any Canvas function will help you in automatically catching/fixing/updating them.

0 Kudos
Labels