cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer II

Links in a New tab on Module and what about this tab?

Maybe it is just me but when I set an external site eg padlet to open up in a new tab in a Module eg

208981_pastedImage_0.png

I not only get the site opening up in a new tab (GOOD) but I then the original Module page CHANGING to this (VERY BAD)

208982_pastedImage_0.png

Surely this should not be happening and at the very least, I should be staying on the Module page as it says?

Please help, thanks

12 Replies
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi there, Gideon.Williams@britishschool.nl​...

Have you considered embedding a Padlet within a Content Page in your course instead?  I know this works.  Once you have your Padlet set up on the Padlet website, there are options to grab the embed code from your Padlet so that you can paste it into the HTML side of a page.  It keeps the Padlet right inside your course (no new tab/window opening).  Embedding the Padlet then eliminates the message, "This site needs to be opened in a new browser window" message and button.  Looking forward to hearing from you.

Hey Chris, thanks for getting back

Embedded on a page is my preferred option. I have started writing a blog post with examples of doing this sort of thing. You can find it here if you are interested - Web 2.0 Tools

Linking from a Module was a response to a colleague's request and also to show a different method.

They main thing is that it surely should not be doing this if it works like any other Load in new tab feature I have come across. If students are working from the Module page, I expect the Module page to still be there when  I go back!

I am surprised no-one has mentioned this. Perhaps I should raise it as a 'Problem'?

That might not be a bad idea, Gideon.  It's interesting that you're seeing that message after Padlet opens in a new window.  I think I've only seen that when I've used a LTI tool that opens in a new window...not anything that was linked the way you did it.  Keep us posted on what you find out!

Community Team
Community Team

Hi, Gideon.Williams@britishschool.nl, we haven't had any activity in this discussion in a few weeks. Did Canvas Support resolve your issue? If not, how are you choosing to approach this for now?

On my to do list. TBH I did not follow it up as the teacher did not get back and then I forgot.... :smileyshocked:

Well, thanks for letting us know, Gideon.Williams@britishschool.nl​! Keep us posted when you can, and best of luck on the upcoming "soft launch" (I just read your blog).

Community Coach
Community Coach

Gideon.Williams@britishschool.nl,

Did you ever hear back from the instructor on this issue?  I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

Apparently that is the way it works! I don't understand why there is an extra step especially as...

(a). It does not do anything

(b). It adds to the workflow

Perhaps this is something Canvas could just get rid of in the next update?

Community Member

I also find this extremely annoying. Especially as this seemed to work fine just last year. When I mark "load in a new tab", it should load in a new tab. Instead I get the current page reloading and giving me the message "this site needs to be opened in a new browser window" and then I have to click that to open in a new tab. What is the point of this step? Why can't the link just be opened in a new tab on clicking?

I'm also not a fan of marking threads "assumed answered" just because no one has responded for awhile. There are a few threads on this same problem that are marked "assumed answered" but mostly there is no good answer.