cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mathew_charlton
Community Member

Links to third party LMS'

Dear Canvas community,

We are currently implementing Canvas links to other third party supplier industry-specific LMS'. Specifically,

http://www.didasko.com/didasko-online-faq

http://www.cdxauto.com/

What options do we have to link to these resources (hyperlink, button, other)?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks

Mat.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
kblack
Community Member

Hello  @mathew_charlton  Welcome  to the Canvas Community! 

Generally, the first place to check to see if you can create direct links to another resource without (for example) requiring the student to login separately to that other resource is a check of the Edu Apps Center.  This is the same information you generally see if you click on the SETTINGS menu item of any Canvas course site, and then click on the APPS tab on the ensuing screen.  This is the most ideal solution for resources tied to publishers' external sites (such as Pearson, McGraw-Hill, etc.) because then items such as graded quizzes that the student takes on the external site can often be automatically added to the Canvas gradebook.  This varies, of course, from app to app, however.

I did a quick check of both of your resources and neither one is listed as an available LTI app.  So unless or until you find out otherwise, one method is to simply create a link to the external site anywhere you see the rich content editor within a course site, as covered here:  How do I create a hyperlink in the Rich Content Editor? 

Another method--and one that you suggest yourself--is to create a separate menu link.  This can be done courtesy of, well--one of those aforementioned apps!  If you go into that APPS area in a course site, do a search for redirect.  You will find the Redirect Tool, which is an app that allows you to specify an external URL and have it added to the side menu.  HOWEVER, that tool only works with https:// addresses, so you will want to find out if either of those sites has one.

Hope this helps a bit.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @mathew_charlton ‌...

I wanted to check in with you because there hasn't been any new activity in this thread in this thread since your posting on April 19th and  @kblack ‌'s response later that morning.  Have you had an opportunity to review Ken's reply?  If so, did it help to answer your question?  Or, are you still seeking assistance with your original question?  If Ken's reply did help to answer your question, please go ahead and mark it as "Correct".  However, if you are still looking for some help with your question, please let us know that by posting a message below so that Canvas Community members can continue to help you.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because there hasn't been any new activity here for about two months.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional replies or comments related to your question below.  I hope this is okay with you, Mat.  Looking forward to hearing from you soon!