List View on Dashboard

Jump to solution
bhooper1
Community Member

Students have the option on their dashboard to show list view or card view. My colleges and I think list view is VERY confusing. The students are putting their desktop in list view, but then getting overwhelmed by the to-do in so many classes. We are trying to stress to them that they need to go to each of our Cards and look at the weekly module to complete assignments. While the "to-do" section is great, and helpful, having a running list is confusing. Is there a way for districts to turn off the option of list view on student devices? 

1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good evening, @bhooper1 ...

The "default" view for the Canvas Dashboard is something that can be set by your school's local Canvas administrator (or someone that works at your school's Online Learning/eLearning department).  It can be set to "Card View", "Recent Activity", or "List View".  Further, there is an option right below this (as a check-box) to "Overwrite all users' existing default dashboard preferences".  This is covered in the admin Guide: How do I set details for an account?.  (Look under the heading "View Account Settings" about 1/4 the way down the page.)  You might want to have a conversation with people at your school to see what they have set as their "default" ... and if they would be willing to change it.  Keep in mind this would be a global setting for everyone at your school...not just for you and your students.

Hope this helps.  Sing out if you have any other questions about this...thanks!  Take care, stay safe, and be well.

View solution in original post