cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Surveyor

List of upcoming assignments for students in a course

Jump to solution

I am wondering if the following is possible:

I work at a K-12 school. Teachers have expressed a desire to have the ability to see what due work has been set for all students in all of the students' classes.

For example, teacher John Smith has a French class with 20 students. He would like to set homework for that class but needs to know what other homework they have been set so that they are not overloaded.

The solution would need to do the following:

- get a list of the students in that particular French class

- get the list of all upcoming assignments for each of those students (not just upcoming assignments for his French class)

- remove duplicates

- display that list of upcoming assignments in a calendar view

I'm pretty sure this is possible using various APIs. Has anyone developed such a solution? It would be very useful for K-12 when managing homework loads.

Cheers for any advice,

Sam

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Learner II

Great idea/questions Sam!

I can see how this could be used to give teachers an understanding of how much work the students in their classes are doing and use this to balance the workloads. Working at a large high school district, I know that a typical class would have students with a great variety of class schedules and different teachers, so I can easily see how the data that would match one's French class could get unwieldy pretty fast.

Perhaps what teachers would find useful would be some counts for how many students in your class have the different assignments as well. This could look something like this:

Dec. 8, 2015

Geometry A: Parallel Lines Pictures [15]

Physics A: Free Body Diagrams [12]

CP English 3A: Scarlet Letter Essay [9]

Pre Calculus A: Problem Set 5: 1-19 [6]

*where the number inside the brackets indicates how many students in your class have that assignment.

...and while we are at it, why not display this using a nice visual graphic and perhaps add some logic that would suggest "the best" days to make an assignment due given the existing workload of the students in your class?

I think this is doable using the APIs but it sounds like a big project and to get speedy performance it would probably be best to setup a database that stores all this information and uses the APIs to update it once or twice a day and then serve the data directly from that.

That's about as much as I can speak to in terms of the technicalities. I make very limited API calls and am not that experienced in programing. However, I always surprised at the solutions and work the people in the Canvas Community are doing and sharing. Maybe james@richland.edu​ or travis.thurston@usu.edu​ might have some ideas and can give us a better estimate as to how much work it would take to pull something like this off?

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Learner II

Great idea/questions Sam!

I can see how this could be used to give teachers an understanding of how much work the students in their classes are doing and use this to balance the workloads. Working at a large high school district, I know that a typical class would have students with a great variety of class schedules and different teachers, so I can easily see how the data that would match one's French class could get unwieldy pretty fast.

Perhaps what teachers would find useful would be some counts for how many students in your class have the different assignments as well. This could look something like this:

Dec. 8, 2015

Geometry A: Parallel Lines Pictures [15]

Physics A: Free Body Diagrams [12]

CP English 3A: Scarlet Letter Essay [9]

Pre Calculus A: Problem Set 5: 1-19 [6]

*where the number inside the brackets indicates how many students in your class have that assignment.

...and while we are at it, why not display this using a nice visual graphic and perhaps add some logic that would suggest "the best" days to make an assignment due given the existing workload of the students in your class?

I think this is doable using the APIs but it sounds like a big project and to get speedy performance it would probably be best to setup a database that stores all this information and uses the APIs to update it once or twice a day and then serve the data directly from that.

That's about as much as I can speak to in terms of the technicalities. I make very limited API calls and am not that experienced in programing. However, I always surprised at the solutions and work the people in the Canvas Community are doing and sharing. Maybe james@richland.edu​ or travis.thurston@usu.edu​ might have some ideas and can give us a better estimate as to how much work it would take to pull something like this off?

View solution in original post

Thanks for the detailed response Chris. The count idea is one I hadn’t thought of - that could work well.

I shall get in contact with James and Travis and see if they have any ideas!

sadenniston@mgs.vic.edu.au​, if you're able to devise a solution with the assistance of James and Travis, would you please take a moment to circle back to this discussion and share it with the Community at large?

Surveyor

Sam,

This is a great idea!  Please let us know if you submit it as a feature request and I'll help promote it in my district as well.  More often than not feature ideas are designed to help teachers and admins be more effective in Canvas.  I see this idea as being student focused and keeping their best interests in mind.  This idea provides a simple way for teachers to grasp the workload students are being asked to complete and could ultimately help them from getting overwhelmed and frustrated.

Learner II

I'll second that with qstarks@bgcs.k12.in.us​. I think this would be a great feature idea and it may require so many API calls that it would be best left to an official server side feature. If you submit this, for sure let us know Smiley Happy

Community Team
Community Team

sadenniston@mgs.vic.edu.au​, in light of the feedback you've received thus far, it appears increasingly likely that the unified assignment list you're after will require the implementation of a feature idea. As such, I'm marking clong@hbuhsd.edu​'s first response with the "Correct Answer" designation. If you should decide to submit a feature idea, please take a moment to circle back to this discussion and post the link; I'd certainly bookmark it and upvote it when it opens!