cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lpagni-kiefer
Community Member

Loading a large file

I have been trying all night to load a large file (228,923 kb), it never loads.  I tried to change it to a zip file but that did not work either.  Please advise

4 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @lpagni-kiefer ...

Could you give some specifics on where you are trying to load this file?  Are you trying to load this into your course "Files" area?  Are you trying to load this file into your Canvas personal "Files" area (which is different than course "Files")?  Any additional information would be helpful...thanks!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Also, depending on where you are trying to load it, you might be out of space. Canvas doesn't have an error message for when this happened it just doesn't let you upload stuff. 

dwillmore
Learner II

Quotas are set for how large a course, user files, and group files can be in Canvas.   We are fairly liberal, but each school has their own rules.    228 MB is not very large compared to most quotas I have seen in Canvas, but it is a large number for a single file.

Your internet provider or internet stability may all restrict your ability to upload your file.  I have seen some strange things happening for our users that are on a satellite internet provider.  

Malware or virus can create problems for a file upload.

As  @chofer ‌ said, we need more specifics.

• Are you an administrator, faculty, or student?
  • How are you uploading your file?
    • Email attachment
    • Through the media tool
    • Going to files and clicking upload?
    • Through a page?
  • Where are you uploading the file?
    • To a Quiz Question
    • To an assignment?
      • Was the assignment connected to another system such as Turnitin or a publisher's LMS system?
    • To your personal files
    • To course files
    • To group files

These are the typical things I look for when someone asks for help when uploading their files.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @lpagni-kiefer ...

I noticed that it's been almost two months since we last heard from you, and so I wanted to check in.  Have you had an opportunity to review the feedback that you've gotten from me,  @kona ‌, and  @dwillmore ?  Did any of our responses help to answer your question?  Or, are you still looking for some assistance with your original question?  If you feel that one of the above responses has helped to answer your question, please go ahead and mark it as "Correct".  However, if you are still looking for some help with this question, please come back to this thread to post a message below so that members of the Canvas Community can continue to assist you.  For now, I am going to go ahead and mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions/comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon, Lorraine!