cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

Locked Down Google Forms - Importing grades into canvas

Recently, Google introduced a feature in Forms to allow managed Chromebooks to be locked down during a quiz (if you convert the form to a quiz). For districts like mine that use Chromebooks, this is a huge feature release that would greatly enhance our ability to create tests/quizzes while insuring some academic integrity. What I want to avoid though, is having teachers input grades manually into canvas after the test is delivered using forms. 

Is there a way to automatically import grades from a google forms quiz into Canvas? If not, is anybody using a browser lockdown solution that is free, for quizzes built-in Canvas, similar to the lockdown feature that is now available in forms? 

8 Replies
Highlighted

https://proctorio.com/ has integration with Canvas- we use it at our university. I would not advise using Google Forms to collect grades, because that can be easily bypassed with Google Accounts, so you need a solution that is specifically linked to Canvas. There are other options than Proctorio, but that's the one that comes to mind. 

Highlighted

Is this a free tool?

Highlighted

Can you explain more how the grades can be "easily bypassed with Google Accounts". I'm not sure what you are saying.

Highlighted
Surveyor II

I've used Forms to import grades into Canvas often. I don't know if things have changed if you convert them to a quiz.

Here's what I do using Excel. I haven't tried it using only Chromebook and Google Sheets but it should work.

1. I have a master workbook called gradebook that is just the download of the Canvas gradebook, with all columns past column F (Section at our school) deleted.
  2. I copy the grades from each Google Sheet linked to the form into my workbook, like this. (This one is for homework, since students turn in their assignments using a Google form)
  3. I create a column in the Gradebook using the column name that Canvas wants and use a VLOOKUP formula to put the percentage into a column (as below).
  4. Saving the gradebook sheet as a CSV file saves only the one page and it can be uploaded directly to canvas.

Here's a picture of one of my spreadsheets this semester.

A Google Spreadsheet prepped for Canvas upload.

This sounds like a lot of work, but, in fact it takes me less than 5 minutes, from start to finish, to upload the student's grades for each assignment.

Highlighted

How does it know which score matches which student?  I have found that alphabetizing my spreadsheet by last name makes inputting the data somewhat easier >> This seems complex-having to download files and whatnot

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

jwakefield@jvsd.org,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while, so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

How we keep your questions flowing!

Robbie

Highlighted

I have a related question...I tried embedding a Google Form ( that was on locked mode, so kids would not be able to open other tabs) - but they got an error message (assuming because myMCPS was open?

The main perk of Quizzes is that is syncs with our gradebook.  It is a pain that we cannot easily "copy" questions in quizzes - unless we were using questions banks-but then it alters wherever the question is used.  It seems easier to start creating questions within a Question Bank - and then adding them to the quiz (it is more of a hassle to make a quiz and then add them to banks so you can reuse them: settings>>export QTI >>.zip>>Import)

What I REALLY want to know - is how to EASILY convert Google Forms to Quizzes (like can we export a .csv from a .xlxs then import to canvas - I read that the New Quizzes it supposed to have a feature that helps with this.  vs. the alternative I found which is Respondus 4.0 (Free for 30 days)?  

Highlighted
Community Member

I don't want to convert my Goolge Forms to a Canvas Quiz format that cannot be shared with other non-Canvas users but I also don't want to do manual data entry to transfer scores.  I  think there is a protocol (LTI?) so scores in Google Classroom/Google Form could be automatically export to Canvas's grade book.  Ideally, an embedded Google Form could be linked directly to Canvas Gradebook with the option to import scores from GC directly but I may be dreaming on that one.  We currently have that ability with our SIS (Aeries) and Google Classroom.  It would be hard to go back to not having some automated grade transfer.

Thanks,

Dave