cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brian_t_anders
Surveyor

Locking a course every single day at specific times

I am looking for a solution on how to restrict access to courses (or a sub-account) so students do not have access past a certain time each day a class is held. The students will be working with teachers in a classroom and students cannot have access to their course when they are not with teachers.

The best solution I have come up with so far is for the teacher to go into the course settings each day and set a start date of today and an end date of today at the latest possible time they plan on working with students. That way they have to set a start date to activate the course and while they are at it, they will set the end date of today. The problem with that is they can set a start date and no end date.

Is there a better way to do this? Is there a way to restrict access to all courses in a sub-account easily?

We are looking at 25 different locations with multiple courses at each location. Having the responsibility of checking each course would be very laborious.

9 Replies
pklove
Learner II

This would be straightforward to automate with the API.  It could be done either on a per course basis or on a sub-account.

If using the API that isn't an option, could you put these courses in the same term and use the term settings?

I'm not sure using the API is an option right now. If I used terms, which I currently do not have access to, would that be something that needs to be set every single day?

Yes, you would still have to change the term day/time every day, but at least it would apply to all of the courses in the term.

Using the API is about your only option if you wish to automate this. Any process that doesn't use the API is going to need manual intervention on a daily basis.

If there were no assignments in the course so there was never a submission by a student, the instructor could publish and unpublish the course each date at the start and end of the meeting. That breaks once there has been a submission.

You said these were lots of courses with different locations and multiple courses at each location. But you also said something that makes it appear that there are different times for those courses. That last part seems to make using terms not viable as they would have one date and time for all of them.

I ended up just instructing teachers to activate and deactivate each student each day. This is a bit laborious but class sizes aren't large and if students miss class, we don't want them to be able to go into the course.

Hi  @brian_t_anders ‌

First in no way am I criticizing; but rather, am seeking to better understand your pedagogy.

One of the huge advantages of incorporating an LMS into a traditional course is that learning materials and activities are available 24/7; that students who miss a class time for whatever reason can still stay current and continue learning; that students who have difficulties for whatever reason in a live classroom environment, who learn slower, who have cognitive challenges, different learn style preferences or any other reasons can still learn and benefit from the incorporation of elearning in their courses.

As an educator, my job is to provide opportunities for my students to learn, whether inside the classroom or outside.

So I would love to better understand your reasons for locking students out of a learning tool when they leave the classroom each day. For me, this is much akin to schools that do not let6 their students take their books home with them.

Thanks,

Kelley

No offense taken. I am simply implementing Canvas as a solution for one of our units in our k-12 organization. Alternatively, they would be doing the same thing in a classroom with a proctor using a paper and pencil.

The reason we want to lock this material is because every student who is participating in these classes have repeatedly been unable to meet requirements for graduation through assessments. (This is all state regulated by the way, nothing we are enforcing is at an organizational level). The program ensures all students have a fair opportunity to demonstrate knowledge and skills if traditional assessments aren't effective. It has implications for special education students and ones who do not perform well on assessments. It does not change graduation requirements but provides remediation and a path to graduation that is meaningful and rigorous and tied to state standards.

Because of all of these factors, we need to regulate the material access and create a level playing field. These are not classes for students to learn, but simply to further help them demonstrate knowledge. They have already completing and passed the course for which they are receiving this 'alternate instruction'.

Sorry if that is a bit confusing. I don't have much knowledge on the subject and a lot of this is copy/paste from state documentation.

Thank you for taking the time to satisfy my curiosity  @brian_t_anders  !

Essentially then, you are using Canvas courses to deliver various forms of assessment activities that must be performed in a live environment under supervision.

Curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought him back, so thanks for saving my life.