cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Logging in and out affecting total activity time?

I have an online training in free canvas that consists of short html5 videos embedded in content pages. It takes a total of 2 hours to view all of the videos. The person administering the training uses the course roster total activity column to monitor whether people have spent enough time in the course when they claim to have completed it (and uses the access report to take a closer look when it appears they're cheating by simply clicking on the content page without viewing the full video). Some students have sworn they spent more time in the course than Canvas says they did, and say that they got "booted" out numerous times while viewing the videos. I'm assuming this means they lost their connection--it's likely that they are using old computers with slow internet connections. They're getting upset that their honesty is being questioned. My question is: could getting booted out repeatedly somehow be messing up their total time? Could anything else be happening to make it look like they're spending less time in the course than they actually are?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Community Coach
Community Coach

larnold@keene.edu‌, if you had the paid version then for something like this I'd start by going to Page Views (on the admin side) for the students and see exactly what's going on. This will show you if they're getting booted out and then coming back in. It will also show what browser they are using and more. To get a more full picture, scroll to the far right and get the CSV download of their Canvas activity.

Yet, since you don't have the admin side it's hard to tell exactly what's going on. Is it possible that what they are saying is true? Sure, it's possible, but without more information it's impossible to tell one way or the other.

At at this point I would recommend contacting Canvas Support and seeing if they can help get you the information on a couple of students so you can check to see what's going on. You could also ask them about total time and how that's calculated. To do this click on the Help link in Canvas and Report a Problem. 

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello larnold@keene.edu...

As I was looking through some of the older questions here in the Canvas Community, I noticed that we have not heard from you since you first posted this question on September 17, 2017.  I wanted to check in with you to see if you've had an opportunity to review the feedback that you've received from kona@richland.edu.  Was her response helpful?  Have you had a chance to contact Canvas Support?  If so, what was the outcome of that conversation?  Would you be willing to share with us back here in the Community?  If you still looking for some help with this question, please feel free to post a message below so that members of the Community might be able to assist you.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we've not heard back from you and because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic for a few months.  However, this won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions or comments below.  I hope that's alright with you, Lynn.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon!

Labels