Long Distance Charges with BigBlueButton

Jump to solution
smorrison1
Community Member

We recently had a participant join a BigBlueButton conference via telephone using the call-in number provided. They then received a $20 long distance charge on their phone bill.

We understand that this is a California area code (we are using this from Canada). Is it possible to put a note somewhere within the call-in number information box that states "long distance charges may apply" or is there a toll-free number option for calling in?

I have been trying to figure out how to do this from the Admin end, but can't seem to see a place to add this.

Thanks!

1 Solution
ffdixon
Partner
Partner

Hi Sarah,

I am the product manager for BigBlueButton.  While I work at Blindside Networks, the company that provides hosting of BigBlueButton to Instructure.  While I can't speak on behalf of Instructure, I can offer an answer to your question.

> We understand that this is a California area code (we are using this from Canada). Is it possible to put a note somewhere within the call-in number information box that states "long distance charges may apply" or is there a toll-free number option for calling in?

We added the text "long distance charges may apply".

333002_pastedImage_1.png

For the majority of users, the built-in audio is much better than phone number, unless the user's network is not so good, in which case the dial-in number is always there as a backup.

We'll look at adding other dial-in options (such as Canadian-based numbers) in the new year.

Thanks for the feedback Sarah.  Hope you are your staff have a great Christmas.

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer

(I also moonlight as the CEO of Blindside Networks)

View solution in original post