cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sgriffith
Surveyor

Make a website in the redirect tool span the entire page

Jump to solution

Is there something you can enter into the Redirect tool to make the website it's redirecting to span the entire computer screen?

In HTML it would normally be something like width=100%, but I'm not sure if you can do that in the Custom fields of the LTI. 

261203_pastedImage_1.png

Thanks for your help!

Sarah 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @sgriffith ...

I am wondering if you have the "New User Tutorial" Feature Option turned on for your account or not.  To check this, as an admin, go into your account admin pages of Canvas, and then click on "Settings".  Click on the "Feature Options" tab.  Do you see a green checkmark next to "New User Tutorial", or do you see the gray "X"?  When you turn the "New User Tutorial" on (green checkmark), the content in course pages (and also content on the Dashboard) fills to the entire width of your screen.  This also enables the New User Tutorial, so you might want to see what that all entails first (or at least try it out in your "beta" environment) to see if that might be something you want.  In your screenshot, it looks like that right portion of the screen isn't displaying any content, and enabling the "New User Tutorial" would fix that.

I hope this helps, Sarah.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
James
Navigator

@sgriffith ,

Are you talking about this?

new_tab=1

When you create a new redirect placement, there's an option to open it in a new tab

261190_pastedImage_1.png

If you choose that and then go in and edit the placement, you'll see the new_tab=1 in the custom fields section.

Hi James, 

Nope, the instructor wants the webpage to open in Canvas not a new tab. She'd like the embedded page to fill the screen. 

261242_pastedImage_1.png

For her embedded website to expand to where the arrows are in the picture and take up that empty space on the right.

Is there a way to do that in the Redirect tool (or anywhere in Canvas) or is it just a pipe dream? 

Thanks for your help!

Sarah 

Hi  @sgriffith ‌,

That screen size issue looks suspiciously like it's showing the empty space on the right because of the screen size of your monitor. Do the regular Canvas content (wiki) pages (not quiz, discussion, or assignment) show to the end of the screen/take up the empty space on the right?

For a brief 2 weeks a few months ago, Canvas had removed the screen-size fix and regular content (wiki) pages were going to the max width of the monitor. And then another update happened and it went back to how it was, or there was a special setting that had to be enabled in the subaccount and as a side-effect it took up the max-width.. oh yeah here it is.. It was the https://community.canvaslms.com/message/76873-re-the-available-space-becomes-wider-for-each-page?com... 

Good luck,
Cheers - Shar

Hi ishar-uw‌, 

Thanks for your response! The wiki pages do not take up the entire screen. Thanks for the information and link!

Sarah 

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @sgriffith ...

I am wondering if you have the "New User Tutorial" Feature Option turned on for your account or not.  To check this, as an admin, go into your account admin pages of Canvas, and then click on "Settings".  Click on the "Feature Options" tab.  Do you see a green checkmark next to "New User Tutorial", or do you see the gray "X"?  When you turn the "New User Tutorial" on (green checkmark), the content in course pages (and also content on the Dashboard) fills to the entire width of your screen.  This also enables the New User Tutorial, so you might want to see what that all entails first (or at least try it out in your "beta" environment) to see if that might be something you want.  In your screenshot, it looks like that right portion of the screen isn't displaying any content, and enabling the "New User Tutorial" would fix that.

I hope this helps, Sarah.

View solution in original post

Hi  @chofer ‌, 

Thanks for the tip! I researched the tutorials a bit, turned them on, and now content is spanning the entire screen. Looks great! 

Is this the only way to span Canvas across the entire page? Unless I create a feature request, it goes through the voting process and maybe gets on the Canvas radar? Or if I learn java script?

Thanks again for your help!

Sarah 

Hi  @sgriffith ...

From the front-end of Canvas, this is about the only way I know how to have content in Canvas span the entire width of the screen.  I'm not much of a programmer, so I don't really know what might or might not be possible with some custom code.  Sorry.

No need to be sorry, you've been a huge help! 

Image result for thank you meme