cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Marking Discussions as Completed Automatically?

We're looking to have a discussion be marked complete automatically. We are asking students to share information about themselves, but want to make it required, without having to devote instructional resources to having it "graded", since any participation is acceptable for our purposes. Is there a way to do this?

Currently we've made an additional assignment group that has 0% weight and are putting the discussion there so, while it remains incomplete unless it is graded, it does not negatively impact the students' grades. Is there any other solution? This is terribly clunky and ugly, as solutions go.

7 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

jbarrom@ecornell.com​, there's nothing on the front side of Canvas that would do this for you. Here are a few thoughts about things that might work:

1. I'm sure you have already tried this, but to cover all my bases, have you tried grading from gradebook view? It's pretty easy to see if a student participated in the discussion and then quickly click through and enter full credit for those that participated.

2. Something else to consider (since you aren't grading on quality of post) is making it a survey where students answer the questions and get full credit for taking the survey regardless of their responses. How do I create a Survey in my course?

3. What if were able to generate a list of every student (alphabetical order) and whether they participated or not in the discussion? Could you then take this list and upload the grades into the gradebook? How to Count Student Discussion Posts & How do I upload changes to the Gradebook?

4. Not sure how tech savvy you are, but I'm guessing it's probably possible on the back-end of Canvas to collect this information and upload scores to your gradebook via the Canvas API. How do I obtain an API access token for an account? & How do I make API calls in an account with an access token?

Depending on what you're trying to accomplish it seems like option #2, graded survey, would probably work the best and be the most hands-off once you get it set up.

Hope this helps!

Highlighted
Learner II

Building on kona@richland.edu​'s suggestions, you could us a graded discussion and set the grade display to complete/incomplete, use the gradebook view to verify that everyone has submitted, and then set the default grade to "complete." This is relatively quick to implement, so hopefully would not needlessly redirect instructional resources. The gradebook view would also allow you to message students who have not yet submitted.

Note: You can use the default grade option with any grade display -- for instance, set the default grade to 0 points. But a check mark might look more acceptable.

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

jbarrom@ecornell.com​, did either of the suggestions above work for you?

Highlighted
Community Member

Hi kona@richland.edu​ and lindalee@wharton.upenn.edu, those are all really excellent suggestions, but they don't work for us, I'm afraid. Thank you both for you efforts though! I think we're going to have to find a way to change how we're viewing this particular assignment and try to leverage the other tools available to us through Canvas.

Highlighted
Explorer II

Here is another suggestion. Make the discussion ungraded and add it to the end of a module. Add the requirement of must contribute. This would require the students to contribute the discussion before they get access to the next module and you wouldn't have to grade the discussion.

How do I require students to move through each Module item in order?

How do I add requirements to a Module?

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

That's a cool idea snugent! Very out of the box, but it would definitely work!! jbarrom@ecornell.com​, would this possibly work for you? Also, if you wouldn't mind sharing what you are going to do it would be appreciated. Someone else might in the future might have a similar question and it might help them to see what you ended up going with!

Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

jbarrom@ecornell.com, snugent​ has provided a workable solution, so for now, I'm going to mark this discussion with the "Assumed Answered" designation. If possible, please take a moment to share how you've decided to address this.

Labels