cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
swinter
Community Member

Marking up a student's assignment

Jump to solution

How can you mark up an assignment that a student submits - I mean write/add comments on the actual PDF they submitted the same way a teacher would have marked with a red pen? 

I have heard that Google Docs may be a way to do it, but my rep and the guides say that google docs that are uploaded to Canvas a) convert to a Word or PDF file format and b) do not upload a copy to My Files for the uploader. We absolutely need (b) to occur so how do your schools work within Canvas and allow teachers to mark up student's submitted assignments/papers/etc.?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

...but stay tuned for more information about DocViewer as it comes out in the release notes!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
tross
Explorer II

When you use the Speedgrader, you can get a preview of the file in a tool called Crocodoc and put comments, highlights, whatever markings you need on the document.  Here is a link to the how to https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10250-4152719763 

@swinter , tross is correct in that for the next few weeks, you can use Crocodoc to annotate students' PDF assignment submissions. Hot off the presses: Canvas has unveiled its new and improved annotation feature--DocViewer--which will replace Crocodoc this month! Check out Insights: Canvas DocViewer 

swinter
Community Member

Thanks. I look forward to seeing how it will work. I found the Crocadoc info useful too, but couldn't find how to turn it on. 

Susan

@swinter , neither Crocodoc nor DocViewer need to be turned on. The annotation tools will display automatically in SpeedGrader as long as the file submission is of a file type that is supported by the viewer. DocViewer will support the same document types as Crocodoc did, and those are .doc, .docx, .pdf, .ppt, and .pptx.

...but stay tuned for more information about DocViewer as it comes out in the release notes!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
swinter
Community Member

Thanks. I see the Croc tools now. We didn't see them before. The teacher who was looking for the tools couldn't find any, so we thought they had to be turned on.