cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rsmith4
Community Member

Master Course

Jump to solution

How do you set up a master course that changes all repeat courses when revision and additions are made?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @rsmith4 ​...

You can currently do this by utilizing Canvas Commons.  In general, here are the steps:

1. Build your "master" course.  (You could do this in a "Master Term" that you have set up specifically to hold "master" courses if you wanted.)
  2. Share the entire course to Canvas Commons...either with the entire Canvas Community or just with your school.  How do I share a course to Commons?
  3. Instructor X, Y, or Z then logs into his/her own Canvas account and imports the newly created shared Canvas course from Canvas Commons to his/her own course.  How do I import and view a Commons resource in Canvas?
  4. At a later point in time, you make a change to the "master" course.  How do I update a resource I previously shared to Commons?
  5. Instructor X, Y, and Z returns to Canvas Commons and gets a notification that the course has a change in it, and asks if he/she wants to apply the changes in the "master" to his/her own course.  How do I view updates to resources I previously imported from Commons?

I hope this information is helpful to you, Rachael!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
abunag
Surveyor

Currently you can't.  However, at InstructureCon they announced that something that may fit your needs should be coming soon.  Once the videos are posted, you should be able to view the Canvas roadmap video for more information.  I don't recall what the timeline was on it, but I believe the Beta will be out in "Q3".

snufer
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

That would be lovely.  The only viable option that I would know is to employ some sort of content repository/management system.  We were with another LMS that had this option, but the CMS was an incredibly expensive add-on, and we couldn't afford it.  An alternative would be to house your items on a server and link to the resources.  However, we tend to like having the content natively housed within each course without linking to external sources. 

We would party so hard if we could create a master course in canvas that automatically spits out edits and changes to live shells.  But that is a huge project.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @rsmith4 ​...

You can currently do this by utilizing Canvas Commons.  In general, here are the steps:

1. Build your "master" course.  (You could do this in a "Master Term" that you have set up specifically to hold "master" courses if you wanted.)
  2. Share the entire course to Canvas Commons...either with the entire Canvas Community or just with your school.  How do I share a course to Commons?
  3. Instructor X, Y, or Z then logs into his/her own Canvas account and imports the newly created shared Canvas course from Canvas Commons to his/her own course.  How do I import and view a Commons resource in Canvas?
  4. At a later point in time, you make a change to the "master" course.  How do I update a resource I previously shared to Commons?
  5. Instructor X, Y, and Z returns to Canvas Commons and gets a notification that the course has a change in it, and asks if he/she wants to apply the changes in the "master" to his/her own course.  How do I view updates to resources I previously imported from Commons?

I hope this information is helpful to you, Rachael!

View solution in original post

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

For anyone interested in this topic, be sure to RSVP to the CanvasLIVE Twitter Chat #CanvasChat: Managing Masters (2/14) which is coming up this Tuesday, February 14, 2017. RSVP “yes” if you will be there--and if you’re interested, but your schedule doesn’t allow you to attend in real time, RSVP "no" or "maybe" to receive all event updates. Your RSVP ensures that you will receive a notification should the event be cancelled or changed.