Highlighted
Community Member

Mastery Path's Paths

Jump to solution

Hi Everyone,

I noticed that mastery path automatically sets out 3 different paths (as screenshot). What if I need lesser or more paths? If there a standard way that I am missing or we have to use a workaround?

316451_pastedImage_1.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Member

Hi wanfareed‌ - To use lesser paths, just repeat the same point range on paths 2 and 3.  In your example above, the top one will have a bottom point value of 2.1, while the next two will both have 0.  I tested this out just now in a sample course, using a rather simple path, but it did work. On the assignment below, if a student received from 6-10 points, they were pointed to Essay One.  Anything less than that, they were pointed to Class Presentations. 

Sample two-track mastery path

On the other hand, three paths is indeed currently the limit.  There is a Feature Idea out there requesting more that you may want to vote up:  https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/8964-4-levels-in-mastery-paths  . 

Also, I highly recommend your reading kona@richland.edu‌' masterful (pun intended) Hacking Mastery Paths. (In fact, if I remembered to read that again before posting this answer, I would find that the final path may not even be necessary at all in filling out the paths.)  Kona is also presenting at this year's InstructureCon if you were planning on attending: Taking the Mystery out of Mastery Paths .

Hope this helps a bit, Wan.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

Hi wanfareed‌ - To use lesser paths, just repeat the same point range on paths 2 and 3.  In your example above, the top one will have a bottom point value of 2.1, while the next two will both have 0.  I tested this out just now in a sample course, using a rather simple path, but it did work. On the assignment below, if a student received from 6-10 points, they were pointed to Essay One.  Anything less than that, they were pointed to Class Presentations. 

Sample two-track mastery path

On the other hand, three paths is indeed currently the limit.  There is a Feature Idea out there requesting more that you may want to vote up:  https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/8964-4-levels-in-mastery-paths  . 

Also, I highly recommend your reading kona@richland.edu‌' masterful (pun intended) Hacking Mastery Paths. (In fact, if I remembered to read that again before posting this answer, I would find that the final path may not even be necessary at all in filling out the paths.)  Kona is also presenting at this year's InstructureCon if you were planning on attending: Taking the Mystery out of Mastery Paths .

Hope this helps a bit, Wan.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Member

Thank you. This is really helpful. I will give it a try.

0 Kudos