cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sarah_c_cloud
Community Member

Mastery Path

Jump to solution

Mastery Path is really cool. How does it work complete/incomplete assignments? These assignments aren't graded, so the conditional assignments in Mastery Path need to be added to each grade range, right?

There's no way to add a conditional Mastery Path that is contingent only upon simply having students complete his/her assignment, right (i.e., those who do not complete the assignment would not get the additional assignment)?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Member

@chofer ​ - Forgive me for jumping the gun here a bit, but it's an early Sunday morning and I just decided to try playing around with this.   @clouds ​, I believe the answer is "yes" IF you assign a point value to the Complete/Incomplete assignment.  Basically, a "complete" will give full credit; an "incomplete" will give no credit.  That has always been my experience with those types of assignments, though interestingly the documentation is kind of silent on this--at least, from my double-checking the Instructor Guide just now.

I created a sample MasteryPath where everyone has to do an essay that is worth 5 points, BUT with Complete/Incomplete as the grade type.  Those who did not complete it have to do an "intermediate" essay worth 5 points (regular grade scale--i.e., full points are given and it is not a complete/incomplete assignment), whereas those who completed the first one can move along to the final essay.  To keep things simple, everything is an assignment, and everything was "on paper." 

So, we have

-First Essay for Everyone (Complete/Incomplete- 5 points)

-Intermediate Essay for Those Who Don't Do Well on First (5 points)

-Final Essay for Everyone (25 points)

So, the first assignment--the Complete/Incomplete one--was the "foundation" for the MasteryPath.  I was rather intrigued to see that a Complete/Incomplete assignment immediate changes the Mastery Paths tab on that assignment from the default values of points to percentages.  You can see this on the screen capture below.  However, note that I changed the top "scale" to be strictly 100% on top and bottom.  That is, they have to earn a "complete" to move on to the Final Essay.  Remember, again, that I believe Complete/Incomplete is an "all or nothing" grade.  That has always been my experience, at least:

mastery path outline.jpg

So, with that done, I graded a group of "students" on that First Essay.  Lo and behold, it works as you might hope it would.  Those who earned a "complete" on the first essay could skip the Intermediate one, while those who got an "Incomplete" had to do both the Intermediate one and the final one.  Here is what the Gradebook looks like:

mastery path gradebook.jpg

I also verified that the students who did not have to do the Intermediate Essay were NOT seeing it in their view of Modules.

I hope this helps a bit--and that I understood your question well enough.  Like all of us, I am trying to learn MasteryPaths as it moves along and I was intrigued by your question to see if it would work, and it appears that it will.  I did not try anything more complex than this, though, and so far most of my MasteryPath "experiments" have been of the 3-assignment variety with little branching other than after the first assignment.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @sarah_c_cloud ​...

You might want to post your question over here instead: Canvas Release: MasteryPaths.  You'll find lots of information about MasteryPaths along with plenty of discussion.  (Maybe someone has already posted a similar question?)  In order to keep discussions about MasteryPaths in one spot, would it be okay with you if I locked this discussion?

kblack
Community Member

@chofer ​ - Forgive me for jumping the gun here a bit, but it's an early Sunday morning and I just decided to try playing around with this.   @clouds ​, I believe the answer is "yes" IF you assign a point value to the Complete/Incomplete assignment.  Basically, a "complete" will give full credit; an "incomplete" will give no credit.  That has always been my experience with those types of assignments, though interestingly the documentation is kind of silent on this--at least, from my double-checking the Instructor Guide just now.

I created a sample MasteryPath where everyone has to do an essay that is worth 5 points, BUT with Complete/Incomplete as the grade type.  Those who did not complete it have to do an "intermediate" essay worth 5 points (regular grade scale--i.e., full points are given and it is not a complete/incomplete assignment), whereas those who completed the first one can move along to the final essay.  To keep things simple, everything is an assignment, and everything was "on paper." 

So, we have

-First Essay for Everyone (Complete/Incomplete- 5 points)

-Intermediate Essay for Those Who Don't Do Well on First (5 points)

-Final Essay for Everyone (25 points)

So, the first assignment--the Complete/Incomplete one--was the "foundation" for the MasteryPath.  I was rather intrigued to see that a Complete/Incomplete assignment immediate changes the Mastery Paths tab on that assignment from the default values of points to percentages.  You can see this on the screen capture below.  However, note that I changed the top "scale" to be strictly 100% on top and bottom.  That is, they have to earn a "complete" to move on to the Final Essay.  Remember, again, that I believe Complete/Incomplete is an "all or nothing" grade.  That has always been my experience, at least:

mastery path outline.jpg

So, with that done, I graded a group of "students" on that First Essay.  Lo and behold, it works as you might hope it would.  Those who earned a "complete" on the first essay could skip the Intermediate one, while those who got an "Incomplete" had to do both the Intermediate one and the final one.  Here is what the Gradebook looks like:

mastery path gradebook.jpg

I also verified that the students who did not have to do the Intermediate Essay were NOT seeing it in their view of Modules.

I hope this helps a bit--and that I understood your question well enough.  Like all of us, I am trying to learn MasteryPaths as it moves along and I was intrigued by your question to see if it would work, and it appears that it will.  I did not try anything more complex than this, though, and so far most of my MasteryPath "experiments" have been of the 3-assignment variety with little branching other than after the first assignment.

View solution in original post

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Want to know more about Mastery Paths? Be sure to RSVP to the CanvasLIVE event K12 Study Hall: Individualized Learning with Mastery Paths which is coming up this Thursday, December 8, 2016. RSVP “yes” if you will be there--and if you’re interested, but your schedule doesn’t allow you to attend in real time, RSVP "no" or "maybe" to receive all event updates. Your RSVP ensures that you will receive a notification should the event be cancelled or changed.