cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amstrawn
Community Member

Match alphabetization of class and school enrollment lists

My class lists are not alphabetized the same as my school enrollment lists.  How can I rearrange the Canvas list in gradebook to reflect my school program gradebook? For example, Johan Rodriguez Pagola  is listed behind Jonathon Rodriguez in my school program but ahead of him on Canvas.

Tags (2)
5 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

I took a look in our instance of Canvas and it looks like when Canvas alphabetizes names it puts people with two last names (or hyphenated last names) in order with the person who two names before the one with one.

Example: Sally Davis Reed comes before Sally Davis

I'm not sure there is a way to fix this on the Canvas side of things, but I'm going to share this with the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/admins?sr=search&searchId=7c73fe05-fee3-40af-950f-9622be24d8e...‌ group in Canvas and I'd also contact Canvas Support at your school (Help link --> Report a Problem).

amstrawn
Community Member

thank you. our school liason is frustrated by it too. isn't alphabetizing

standard rule? It should be after.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

I have no idea about the reasoning behind this, I'm just explaining what I found. Hopefully someone else has a better explanation for why this is happening.

maguire
Adventurer II

To deal with the problem that the university put names into Canvas in three different orders, I decided to inject custom columns with the first and last user names as extracted from the university's LDAP database. You can find information about this at Getting last_name and first_name from KTHIDs (used as SIS user IDs): Chip sandbox  Note that if you set your language settings appropriately, you can sort the Last_name field (or other fields). Unfortunately, there does not seem to be a way to say that you want the user interface in language 1 and to use the sort order of language 2 for the gradebook.

I export the gradebook augmented with the custom column information Augmenting exported gradebook with custom columns: Chip sandbox and can then load it into a spreadsheet with the proper regional language specified and then sort.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Greetings, did Gerald's response help?