Math Type in New Quizzes?

Jump to solution
paula_d_levy
Community Participant

I noticed that new quizzes does not have access to math type. It has MathQuill, but it is very limited in comparison to MathType.  Will new quizzes get a better equation editor like MathType?

0 Likes
1 Solution
James
Community Champion

@paula_d_levy  

MathType is a commercial product, so it is unlikely that Canvas will add it to their core product. At this point, LTI Tools (necessary to use MathType) are not available within New Quizzes, but they are on Canvas' radar (see: Is the rich content editor missing features? in the New Quizzes FAQ). Once New Quizzes is further along and has support for LTI Tools, I'm sure companies like Wiris will want to make their products work with New Quizzes (otherwise they're going to miss out on a major LMS player).

I don't particularly like MathQuill, but I like that you don't have to use it with New Quizzes. There is no Advanced View, but you can directly type what you want into the text of the page, wrapped in \( and \). That means I don't have to click on an equation editor to type math content, I just need to type the LaTeX code for it. Not everyone knows LaTeX, though, but it is the standard for formatting mathematics and it is what you had to use in the Advanced View with the other equation editor. The one thing I miss about typing it directly is that you cannot preview the math content until you save the page.

View solution in original post

0 Likes