cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer II

Media File Play From Teacher App

I ran across this problem when we had an assignment where students are needed to submit multiple media files. When a teachers goe to the assignment and go on 'comments' tab. They can see a list of submitted media files. Tapping on one of the file will ask 'to open in' as expected. The file is opened in VLC media player, the first file plays fine. Going back to the teachers app by clicking on 'Teacher' link in top left corner in media player and trying to play another file will again play the same file.

Tapping 'Done' in media player would show me the list of files, where I can see two files, both with same name, the difference is '-1' suffix at the end of one file.

I know by tapping 'Done' in teacher app will fix this. But this will be time consuming as teacher has to navigate to the same location as many times as submission for one student. Imagine there are quite a lot of students and all with multiple file submission. That's a lot of time spent on navigation only.

Any way to play the media files smooth.

12 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

ashok.thapa@det.nsw.edu.au‌,

Do you get the same behavior when you access the files through the File tab and not through the comments tab? Thanks. 

Highlighted

Hi Ryan.Seilhamer@ucf.edu

Well, the Files tab just shows one file which is the last scanned pdf file. But actually when I see in comments tab, there are at least five media submissions.

Thanks

Ashok

Highlighted

Hi ashok.thapa@det.nsw.edu.au‌, 

Yes, if the assignment is set up to only accept one file, then that's correct, you will only see one file in the files section. If you want to grade multiple files, then I'd suggest setting up your assignment to accept multiple documents. 

What you are seeing in the app is when students re-submit the same assignment. You can, as you said, access those in the comments tab, but you can also access previous submissions by taping the date right below their name, as seen below. 

This video is currently being processed. Please try again in a few minutes.
(view in My Videos)

Give that a try and see if it solves your issue. Thanks!

Highlighted

This video is currently being processed. Please try again in a few minutes.
(view in My Videos)

Thank you for the input. This is very intuitive way for finding multiple pdf submission.

I am more concerned about the media files and playing from teachers app. I have a course where there are multiple media files. when I want to play the second media, the second file to be played in the player catches the name of the first media with -1 added to the end and plays the same track. I am not sure if the media does not get the feed from app or there is something else I am missing.

I have attached my screenshot for your reference.

thanks 

Ashok

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Okay, I think I see what you are dealing with now. It appears that it doesn't always play file that you think it should. When I test two files, I'll tap on one and open it in VLC and it works fine. I'll go back to the app, tap on the second, open it in VLC and it's the same file again. It appears that it's not refreshing the file and just sending the same file to VLC again, why you get the appended -1 on the file. Sometimes when I come back into the app, it will reload the correct file and then I can send it to VLC, but I can't find a pattern. If I close out SpeedGrader, come back in, tap the file I want and open in VLC it does work, but that's not a great workaround. 

At this point, I'd suggest you report this to Canvas Support or your local tech support. It appears that the file is just not reloading properly before you open it in the VLC player. I'll continue to search as well and if I find an answer, I'll let you know. Thanks! 

Highlighted

Thanks for the input. This is time consuming and frustrating for teachers.

I however have an update. I could play the files when the orientation was vertical. This does not make any sense, but it works. Canvas is trying to troubleshoot.

Thanks,

Ashok

Highlighted
Instructure
Instructure

Which version of the Teacher App are you on? We recently fixed something like this in version 1.7.2. There's an even later version, 1.7.3, available now in the App Store. Can you verify that you are on the latest version?

Thanks,

Nate

iOS Team Lead

Highlighted

Hi narmstrong@instructure.com,

I have updated the App to the latest version, 1.7.3. I can play in vertical orientation after Canvas Support advised me to do so.

I have to test if it still does the same with horizontal orientation, last time I checked it did not perform as expected.

Thanks

Ashok

Highlighted

Any updates on 1.7.3? Thanks!