cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arichardson1
Community Member

Media Submissions--Instagram, Snapchat?

Jump to solution

In the Kung-Fu Canvas module, it mentioned students being able to upload posts from either Instagram or Snapchat via the "online submission" option.  However, I have not been able to find any information that would actually explain how students would go about doing that.  Could someone point me in the direction of a possile answer?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mcowen
Instructure
Instructure

@arichardson1 ‌,

Great question! It would be really cool if there was an integration with Instagram and/or Snapchat.  If you are referring to Canvas FastTrack Ep. 32 - Show & Tell the video mentions using the media recording tool, not uploading posts from Instagram or Snapchat.

The "Instagram assignment" is the idea of putting a time limit of 30seconds on a video submission in an assignment.

The "Snap Chat assignment" is the idea of putting a time limit of 8seconds on a video submission in an assignment.

To create an assignment with the submission type of "Media Recording" check out this Canvas Guide.

I hope this helps.

Have a super day!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
James
Navigator II

@arichardson1  ,

I haven't been through the Kung-Fu Canvas course to see the details of what was said, so I'm not sure if this will help or not. I don't use Instagram or Snapchat either, so keep that disclaimer in mind when I try to answer. Hopefully it's enough to spark some ideas or perhaps for someone who knows what they're talking about to come along and set things straight.

Through a Text Entry submission, students have access to the Rich Content Editor. The Canvas Guides have a page that explains How do I embed images from the web in the Rich Content Editor as a student? However, it seems that at one time, Instagram wasn't necessarily straight forward like that. Instagram Content Embedding 

With a Website URL submission, the students can provide a link or URL to other sites. Canvas will attempt to fetch that site and do a preview if possible (if it's behind a login or uses JavaScript to display the page, Canvas may not be able to do a preview). The instructor can click a link while in SpeedGrader to go visit that site when grading. If the page goes away before the instructor grades the submission, the instructor will be limited to the preview.

Finally, with mobile devices, I think it's easier for students to embed images, but I don't have a mobile device either and the student app doesn't work the same way for me since I'm a teacher. There may be some functionality there that doesn't exist in the web version. I have seen students take a snapshot of their screen and then submit that image by accessing their camera's library on their mobile device. 

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

I'm tagging Deactivated user on this since he's the person who developed Kung Fu Canvas! 🙂

mcowen
Instructure
Instructure

@arichardson1 ‌,

Great question! It would be really cool if there was an integration with Instagram and/or Snapchat.  If you are referring to Canvas FastTrack Ep. 32 - Show & Tell the video mentions using the media recording tool, not uploading posts from Instagram or Snapchat.

The "Instagram assignment" is the idea of putting a time limit of 30seconds on a video submission in an assignment.

The "Snap Chat assignment" is the idea of putting a time limit of 8seconds on a video submission in an assignment.

To create an assignment with the submission type of "Media Recording" check out this Canvas Guide.

I hope this helps.

Have a super day!

View solution in original post

Thanks for clarifying those options (and for teaching me something I didn’t know about limiting media submissions). It’s a great option for requiring students to do something in the style of Snapchat or Instagram without requiring students to get accounts with a service outside the purview of the institution. I do something similar with Google Forms and an assignment I call “#ExplainHistoryBadly” where students define a key term within Twitter’s character limits.

lafnian1990
Surveyor II

Thank you for the interesting information, because this is a relevant article for our time. I work in the educational industry and we are looking for different ways https://likesfinder.com to communicate with students. We used the mono Snapchat channels to send assignments and adjust student actions. Instagram is a new direction. thanks for the information