cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sara_karlberg
Community Member

Mention someone in a message

Jump to solution

Hello. Ho do I do to make a diskussionforum like this one to be able to @mention someone? I can not find that in my preferences.

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @sara_karlberg and welcome to the Canvas Community.  One thing to keep in mind that the Canvas Community uses a 3rd party platform and so the discussions in a Canvas course and here do not function identically.  The short answer, then, is you can't create a discussion like in the Community with @mentions in your course.  However, there is an idea open for voting that covers this functionality, https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1066-mentions-in-discussion-forums .  I believe this is a good idea. You might consider voting for this as well!

I hope this helps and best wishes.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @sara_karlberg and welcome to the Canvas Community.  One thing to keep in mind that the Canvas Community uses a 3rd party platform and so the discussions in a Canvas course and here do not function identically.  The short answer, then, is you can't create a discussion like in the Community with @mentions in your course.  However, there is an idea open for voting that covers this functionality, https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1066-mentions-in-discussion-forums .  I believe this is a good idea. You might consider voting for this as well!

I hope this helps and best wishes.

View solution in original post

sara_karlberg
Community Member

Hi, I have already voted but it seems not moving very fast because the first diskussion regarding this topic seems to have started 2015. I hope Canvas will implement this and compete with facebook. Right now Facebook is doing this already and we need to have to platforms to be able to communicate properly with our students. 

Hi  @sara_karlberg ...

Having this kind of feature in Canvas sure would be nice...I agree.  We have to keep in mind that Instructure does value our input, and while we'd like to see lots of our ideas implemented right away...that isn't always possible due to other projects and priorities that are currently on their radar.  Here are a couple resources for you to look through when you have time:

I can tell you that I've submitted some Feature Ideas that I thought were great but haven't gotten lots of interest here in the Community...or are still open for voting years later.  But, at the same time, I've had Feature Ideas developed by Instructure that I thought would never see the light of day.  And in those cases, that was a happy surprise for me.

I hope this information will be of help to you, Sara.