cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sueryan
Community Member

Menu is greyed out; cannot access files, etc.

The menu is greyed out; I cannot access files

5 Replies
mzimmerman
Adventurer III

Hello Sue,

What is your role in the course?  And what happens when you try to open the Files area?

When a menu item is "greyed out" in Canvas, it means that the menu item is not visible to students.  However, teachers can still open it.

Mike

kristof_deschri
Community Member

Hi,

I also experience this in one of courses.
Even though "Files" is enabled in the navigation of course settings, it's still grey & invisible to students.

Any thoughts what this could be?

Kind regards,

Kristof

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @sueryan  

A likely cause is that you have set your course to require usage rights for Files. From this guide How do I set usage rights and user access for a course file? , it states,

"If usage rights is enabled in your course, you have to set a usage right (copyright) for each file you upload to your course. Usage rights must be assigned to files before files can be published to the course. If a file or multiple files are located in a folder, you can set usage rights through folders. "

I hope this is helpful.

Kelley

Hi Kelley,

Thank you for your reply.
I have checked if this feature was indeed enabled, but it's not the case.
So it's not the solution to this situation.

Kind regards,

Kristof

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @sueryan ...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that we have not heard back from you since you first posted your question on February 8, 2019.  It looks like you've received some feedback from various members of the Community.  Have you had a chance to review their feedback?  If so, did any of the above replies help to answer your question?  Or, do you still have questions for Community members?  If you feel that one of the above replies has helped to answer your question, please feel free to mark that person's response as "Correct".  However, if you're still looking for some help from the Community, please come back to this topic to post a message below so that someone might be able to assist you.  For the time being, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we've not heard back from you and because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic since April 5, 2019.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Sue.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.