Merge canvas.instructure and school.instructure

Jump to solution
bdonohue
Community Novice

Hello All,

This is my first time using Canvas and I think I may have screwed something up. My school has a Canvas account set up through the district. I set up an account through a training session last year at one point but have not used it. Over the summer, I set up a new account on the free teacher Canvas. So now, I have two canvas accounts tied to the same email account. 

The two, I guess, domains are oben.instrucure and canvas.instructure. So my question is, can these two be merged? Its starting to really screw me up. I had all of my kids sign up through the free one, and that is not integrating with their other teachers who are in the school account, things are not showing up in their dashboard.

Could really use some help!

1 Solution
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi,  @bdonohue  Welcome to the Canvas Community!  Whew, let's help you get that unwound. Right off the bat, canvas.instructure.com and [school].instructure.com are two separate domains and those accounts can't be merged.

All is not lost, though. It sounds like your school creates courses under its official oben.instructure.com domain and enrolls students in those courses on your behalf. So having students sign up through the free account in all probability doesn't align with school policies. I suggest that you export the course(s) you created in the free account and import them into the corresponding course(s) provided by your school.

How do I export a Canvas course? 

How do I import a Canvas course export package? 

Once you've preserved all the content you want to keep from the canvas.instructure.com account and have shepherded your students into the official school courses, you can initiate a request to have the free account deleted by submitting the Report a Problem form from the Help menu. (Of course, if you're all right with managing two separate sets of credentials, you could keep the free account as a "sandbox," but you'll probably find over time that your school will be willing to create sandbox courses for you in the official account.)

Let us know if you need additional assistance!

View solution in original post