Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Merging Courses after Classes have Started

Jump to solution

Hello All,

I want to cross list two of my courses that have different names (not just section numbers), and I've done this successfully in the past. However, this time I want to combine two courses AFTER the semester has started. Everything is the same between the two courses, but I have two grade books. Can I still merge the courses or will it create problems?

Any advice or comments are welcome!

Beth

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

emwalton​,

You can still cross list the courses, but which ever course you decide to move from its course will "lose" all of the student work in the course. I say "lose" because it does not actually go anywhere.  The student content stays in the original course, so if you de-cross list the courses, all of the student content will come back.  You could download the grade books from both courses, cross list the sections and then manually put the grades back in, that is if you don't mind all of the other student data not coming over from the course you choose to move.

I would recommend not cross listing if you need the student data.

Robbie

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

emwalton​,

You can still cross list the courses, but which ever course you decide to move from its course will "lose" all of the student work in the course. I say "lose" because it does not actually go anywhere.  The student content stays in the original course, so if you de-cross list the courses, all of the student content will come back.  You could download the grade books from both courses, cross list the sections and then manually put the grades back in, that is if you don't mind all of the other student data not coming over from the course you choose to move.

I would recommend not cross listing if you need the student data.

Robbie

View solution in original post

Highlighted

emwalton,

I absolutely agree with rogrant@nmsu.edu​ that cross-listing the courses become very tricky once the semester has already started, if you have already collected and graded assignments. Have you already entered scores, or had students turn in assignments/discussions/quizzes?

Highlighted

Thanks Robbie!

From your response as well as everyone else's, I think I will just leave everything the way it is. But it's a great lesson learned for future use!

Thank you everyone who responded! I really appreciate it!

Beth

Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

emwalton, I must second and third rogrant@nmsu.edu​ and travis.thurston@usu.educautionary advice. Cross-listing courses after students have been active is risky indeed, and I'll refer you to this lesson from the Canvas Guides--How do I cross-list a section in a course?--specifically this warning note:

Note: Only cross-list inactive courses. Do not cross-list active courses. If you cross-list active courses, assignment submissions and grades will be removed and may not be recoverable.

Highlighted

Definitely agree with this! Today an admin assistant frantically called our office because she had cross-listed two courses but wasn't aware that the course that was cross-listed into the other would lose any data other than enrollments. When I de-cross-listed the course, it warned me that I would lose any data that was collected while the course was cross-listed. Is there a way a similar warning could be made when cross-listing courses? I'm thankful that the Canvas Guide warns about the potential loss, but this unsuspecting assistant didn't realize the repercussions until after the fact.