cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Merging Modules for 8 week summer course

Jump to solution

I just created my first Canvas Course for the fall term (16 weeks).  I'm using a Module for each week of the term.   I need to adapt this shell for a summer course (8 Weeks).  Basically I need to combine/merg Module 1 and 2 together, 3 and 4 together and so on.  Thanks, Bill

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello wlund@avc.edu‌...

There aren't any buttons or functions within Canvas that would allow you to merge two Modules together by telling Canvas, "Choose Module X and Module Y, and combine them to make Module Z".  My recommendation would be to copy/import the 16-week Fall course content into your Summer course using this Guide: How do I copy content from another Canvas course?.  Next, once the content has been imported into the Summer course, go to the "Modules" screen for the Summer course.  Follow this Guide to move module items from one module to another manually: How do I reorder module items?.  Finally, you'll more than likely have some empty modules left after you've moved things around.  Follow this Guide to remove those modules from your "Modules" screen: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10093-415241426 

I hope these Guides help, William!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello wlund@avc.edu‌...

There aren't any buttons or functions within Canvas that would allow you to merge two Modules together by telling Canvas, "Choose Module X and Module Y, and combine them to make Module Z".  My recommendation would be to copy/import the 16-week Fall course content into your Summer course using this Guide: How do I copy content from another Canvas course?.  Next, once the content has been imported into the Summer course, go to the "Modules" screen for the Summer course.  Follow this Guide to move module items from one module to another manually: How do I reorder module items?.  Finally, you'll more than likely have some empty modules left after you've moved things around.  Follow this Guide to remove those modules from your "Modules" screen: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10093-415241426 

I hope these Guides help, William!

View solution in original post

Community Team
Community Team

Hi, wlund@avc.edu! I've had to deal with this scheduling issue over the years not only in Canvas but also in every LMS in which I've worked. My approach in Canvas has been to maintain separate sandboxes for full-term and "mini-term" courses, and I import the content from the appropriately configured sandbox. 

Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi wlund@avc.edu

I do the same as stefaniesanders‌, and maintain Summer instances of my courses. However, if you are new to Canvas, you may not have those sections available to use, so chofer@morainepark.edu‌ technique is good, although it still presents some challenges depending on the structure of your courses. For me, this means that I have to combine some lessons, and module exams, etc.

Generally, I hate the entire concept of shortened Summer terms - either we have to cut out content robbing the students of information they need, or condense content and hope students can retain what they have crammed in! Either way, we simply rob our students!

Addendum:  I just found out that one of my Summer courses for a school I just started teaching for is only 6 weeks long - how in the heck am I supposed to teach anything meaningful from a 12 week curriculum, in only 6 weeks?

Kelley

Thanks!

On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 12:01 PM, kelley.meeusen@cptc.edu <