cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Missing Assignments Indicator

Jump to solution

Can marking assignments missing being disabled? I have assignments that some students submit to, but mostly I manually enter the grade. I'm noticing that for students whose grade was manually added without a submission from them it is marked missing. #missing

Tags (1)
47 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

baileyc@gcsnc.com, I would say this question is technically "answered" at this point in that there's nothing you're missing or doing wrong, it's just a quality of the new functionality. Would you mind if I mark it as "assumed answered?" This won't prevent anyone from finding it or continuing the discussion, it will just separate it from other questions that still need to be "answered."

Highlighted
Community Member

I know you have technically answered this question, but I would really appreciate the option to remove the missing status, as the OP says, not all students submit on line.

Highlighted

I hate to post only "me too" but oh wow, this feature is really scaring my students and it's frustrating.  They mostly show work in class, but I allow them to upload if they prefer that method (or if they're absent) so 95% of my students are seeing "missing" on every assignment, even though I've given them full credit for showing it on paper!  I really hope there will be an update to allow us to disable the 'missing' notification for students!

Highlighted

Hello german@nthuleen.com ,

This idea is open for voting at  A global option to enable/disable Missing and Late Status labels in the New Gradebook  If you have not done so already, you may want to vote there. It is also good to add a comment about why this is important to you. Canvas considers the feature idea comments when deciding whether or not to move forward on the ideas. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello d.jeffries@glenvaleschool.vic.edu.au 

This idea is open for voting at  https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/10605-a-global-option-to-enabledisable-missing-and-late-status...  If you have not done so already, you may want to vote there. It is also good to add a comment about why this is important to you. Canvas considers the feature idea comments when deciding whether or not to move forward on the ideas 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

I have unpublished modules with unpublished assignments and when students view the gradebook a big red box saying "missing" on these assignments are showing up and causing GREAT confusion.Why are these showing up when they are not even published?

Highlighted

steeletm@bps-ok.org‌, I did not know that it was possible for students to see unpublished assignments in their Grades view; indeed, they should not be able to see unpublished assignments anywhere. Have you submitted a support ticket?

Highlighted
Community Member

This is a challenge in our school district as well and there will likely always be a mix of students who submit work online and those who use alternative means.  That said, there needs to be an option to turn this off, have multiple submission methods, or some other solutions.  Otherwise, I agree with the others that this high potential feature will simply become ignored.   For those of us in K12, this is especially tough, because it alerts parents that assignments are missing when in fact that may not be the case.

Highlighted

Hello  joseph_allen@hcpss.org ,

This idea is open for voting at  A global option to enable/disable Missing and Late Status labels in the New Gradebook  If you have not done so already, you may want to vote there. It is also good to add a comment about why this is important to you. Canvas considers the feature idea comments when deciding whether or not to move forward on the ideas.

0 Kudos