cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Missing Assignments Indicator

Jump to solution

Can marking assignments missing being disabled? I have assignments that some students submit to, but mostly I manually enter the grade. I'm noticing that for students whose grade was manually added without a submission from them it is marked missing. #missing

Tags (1)
47 Replies
Highlighted

Hello  thompsli@hsd.k12.or.us 

In my view, the solution that Canvas has moved to beta (a manual removal of these labels 

at https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/9511-allow-missing-label-to-be-enableddisabled-by-choice ) isn't really what most of use had envisioned. That is, manually removing each of these labels per assignment/per student 1) cannot really be done ahead of time - so students/parents will often see them anyway, and 2) can be very time consuming. If you have not done so already, you may want to vote on a more automated option at https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/10605-a-global-option-to-enabledisable-missing-and-late-status... . If you vote, it is also good to add a comment about why this is important to you. Canvas considers the feature idea comments when deciding whether or not to move forward on the ideas.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Surveyor

I hope Instructure realizes how important such a little thing is to the perceived quality of their product by students and faculty.   I have been getting many calls and emails on this subject.   It may be, "Now is the winter of discontent."  It would be advisable to pull the functionality and put it into beta for testing.   It is a small matter that is causing great strife.

Highlighted

David, I could not agree more.  While there is good intent for the automated 'missing' functionality, it is not congruent with the way a K12 actually operates.  I think the option should be pulled until it can be further evaluated for functionality and give teachers more control over if, how, and when to apply it.  It is a small thing, but for helicopter parents who see 'missing' on their kids assignment, they immediately call their school and want answers. 

Unfortunately with public K12, someone will not have internet, someone will need an accommodation, or someone will just prefer working on paper.  Canvas needs to have that flexibility.   

On a related note, we find that 'missing' shows up on the Canvas Parent app the day after an assignment is due even if 'no submission' is chosen.  Again, this causes unnecessary worry and a lot of parent calls when the truth is, teachers just need a few days to grade assignments.      

Highlighted

I was looking at this from a higher ed perspective with panicked students.    Your scenario makes it so much worse.   No video games for Johny because I see that you have missing assignments!!    The injustice....

Highlighted

Yes.  But in all seriousness - there are two things going on with the 'missing' tags that really leave a bad taste in teachers, students, and parents mouths.  We need to get these addressed quickly.  I have raised the issues with my CSM as well. 

1. Teacher gives an assignment.  Even with a ‘no submission’ submission type, the assignment will show as “missing” on the Canvas Parent mobile app the next day after due date if no grade is entered.   In this case, all that is happening is that the teacher has not yet graded the assignment.  Teachers take a few days to grade their assignments, but parents are seeing “Missing” on the app within minutes of the due data passing.  This behavior in the Canvas Parent mobile app is causing alarm and questions among our parents who are trying to stay on top of their kids. 

2. Teacher gives an assignment.  Online submission is chosen as the 'submission type' and the majority of students use this without issue, but being a public K12, the teacher almost always has to give the option for paper / hard copy submission for those that either prefer that medium, need an accommodation, or have limited internet access from home.  In these cases, even if the students submits their hard copy on time, their assignment is marked ‘missing’ or 'late' in the gradebooks .  This shows up in the web gradebook, Canvas Parent, and Amazon Alexa.

Proposal to fix:

1. Canvas needs to modify the functionality so that ‘no submission’ items don’t automatically flag as missing on the mobile apps or the web interface.   
  2. Add an additional box to the 'online' submission type.  If this box is checked, then the automated missing / late tags do not trigger in Speedgrader, gradebook, or Canvas Parent mobile app (see screen shot below)

252310_manual submission.jpg

Highlighted

This makes a lot of sense, joseph_allen@hcpss.org. Thinking about the user experience of an instructor creating the assignment, I worry it might confuse many instructors to have an On Paper submission type and a "allow paper" option for the Online submission type. How about putting it in Grades? As other people have indicated in this thread, the difference between "you got a 0 because you screwed up" and "you got a 0 because you didn't turn in anything" is unimportant to them. For others it matters a lot. For the people who need that distinction, they could flip it on for an assignment.

screenshot of instructor view of Grades, marked up to indicate a new item in the menu of an assignment column. "Mark Missing" appears in red text at the bottom of the menu.

Highlighted

Nicholas, I agree.  I don't really care how we mark things missing, we just need the option to do it manually and remove the automation as it creates unnecessary concern for K12 students and particularly parents and it give Canvas a bad taste for teachers because they are on the front lines answering all the emails of "why did you mark my student missing?"

Highlighted

This is a problem for me in higher ed teaching fully online too, but I can see from people's comments how much worse it is for K-12 settings, esp. when misleading information is going out to parents.

Highlighted

Yes! I really love this solution for differentiating between paper versus online submissions.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello dwillmore@stchas.edu ,

Canvas has provided a manual solution in beta (see https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/9511-allow-missing-label-to-be-enableddisabled-by-choice ) . However, I don't believe that this manual solution was really what most if us hoped for, That is, manually removing each of these labels per assignment/per student 1) cannot really be done ahead of time - so students/parents will often see them anyway, and 2) can be very time consuming. If you have not done so already, you may want to vote on a more automated option at https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/10605-a-global-option-to-enabledisable-missing-and-late-status... . If you vote, it is also good to add a comment about why this is important to you. Canvas considers the feature idea comments when deciding whether or not to move forward on the ideas.

0 Kudos
Top Kudoed Authors
Labels