cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Missing Assignments Indicator

Jump to solution

Can marking assignments missing being disabled? I have assignments that some students submit to, but mostly I manually enter the grade. I'm noticing that for students whose grade was manually added without a submission from them it is marked missing. #missing

Tags (1)
47 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

I have actually submitted an idea recently if you would like to vote up on it!  When my teachers manually grade an assignment or mark it as "EX", the grade still shows as missing in the gradebook.  It also messes up the analytics for that student.  Analytics seem to be based on submissions and if the student didn't submit something, then it shows as missing.  #missing #EX #manually graded #analytics

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/9426-manually-graded-or-ex-assignments-still-show-as-missing 

Highlighted
Community Member

I have prepared a general feature idea to put the Missing label feature back into Beta for now; this Idea page also has all the 5 feature requests related to the Missing label that you can read and vote on.

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/9693-roll-missing-label-in-gradebook-back-to-beta 

If you know of feature requests besides those five, let me know! Thank you! 🙂

Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, Crystal,

The main reason your students were seeing the missing label is because Canvas only knows how to treat an assignment according to its submission designation. If you set the assignment as online, Canvas is looking for online submissions and there isn't a way to disable the missing label. So if you're using an assignment that can be submitted by students using another method, Canvas won't know.

We've been made more aware of this use case, and in the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2017-09-25) we've made a change that removes the missing and late labels from the student Grades page and submission details page. Only SpeedGrader shows the labels, which is the original behavior that existed before the labels were added for students in the Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-08-05). So basically we've put everything back the way it was.

The missing and late labels are ultimately part of Gradebook Enhancements, which you can learn more about here: Priority: Gradebook Enhancements‌. Any institution that is currently part of the New Gradebook Focus Group will still show labels to students in enabled courses, but the New Gradebook can be currently be turned off at any time if needed. Otherwise, in the future when the New Gradebook is available to all users, the New Gradebook will also allow instructors to manage those labels manually. 

For now we hope this change in the standard Gradebook will help alleviate student concerns about missing assignments.

Thanks!

Erin 

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thank you for this update, erinhallmark‌!!!

When you say that instructors will be able to "manage those labels manually" do you meant that will be on a course-wide basis, i.e. to disable the labels complete if they do not fit our grading practices? I hope that is what you mean, but I was not sure.

Any information you can provide about that will be MUCH appreciated! Whether or not I go to the New Gradebook depends on the answer to that question. I do NOT want to disable the labels item by item, student by student by means of manual overrides; I want to disable the use of any/all missing and late labels in my courses.

Meanwhile, I am SO GLAD to know that my students will no longer see the inaccurate Missing labels, and the inappropriate Late labels, which are both completely contrary to my grading practices.

Thank you again for the update!

Highlighted

Thank you Erin!  Now if the instructor can manage these labels manually, how will that impact analytics?  Before, an assignment that was given a manual grade, but still labeled as missing, would also show as missing in analytics.  Does this mean that if there is a manual grade and no missing label, the assignment will not show as missing in analytics?

Highlighted

Hi, Heather,

Labels can't be managed manually quite yet—they'll be part of the new Late and missing flags with automatic deduction policies mentioned in Priority: Gradebook Enhancements‌. That page will show you all the features currently in process and the ones still coming in the future. If you're interested in learning more about the New Gradebook and participating in the focus group, contact your Customer Success Manager. I don't know enough of the specifics in detail to fully answer your question right now, but more information about Gradebook Enhancements will be made available soon!

Thanks,

Erin

Highlighted

erinhallmark, like others have said, thank you and Canvas for being so responsive to this situation where labels are setting off false alarms for parents and students.  I know you said you don't have a lot of details about the new gradebook, but I just want to put in the plug that now everyone knows automated labels can be problematic for K12 and others, that the developers address the issue before the new gradebook is complete and rolled out.  Thanks again for all you do. 

Highlighted

Exactly! In addition to specific bug reports, there was so much that came out in these discussions about different grading practices and how people use the Gradebook. I learned a lot! And as I've said elsewhere, I really hope Canvas will keep in mind the MANY different ways people use the Gradebook. I know it is not easy to build a system that fits everyone, but I hope we will have the opportunity to opt in/out of specific features and/or configure those features to fit our needs.

Highlighted

This is great, erinhallmark‌! Its this kind of responsiveness and community interaction that has made me so enthusiastic about our move to Canvas. 

Highlighted

Hi Erin, You mention that the "New Gradebook can be currently be turned off at any time if needed."  Are there instructions that demonstrate how to do that?

Thanks!

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels