cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
glen_campey
Community Member

Missing Links on Student Profile Page

Hello,

We have had a student report a problem with links on their profile page: they do not have the 'Enrolments' or 'Memberships' sections that I can see (screenshot attached).

I've tried looking in student view, and cannot see the Memberships section at the bottom (so imagine this isn't available for students). They are using Safari on a Macbook - are there any compatibility problems that we know about?

7 Replies
cesbrandt
Lamplighter

Welcome to the community,  @glen_campey .

I'm sorry to have to tell you, but those sections are not for students, they're for faculty and staff. As far as I am aware, there is no option to change this.

Out of curiosity, is there a need for students to have access to these sections?

Thanks Christopher - that part does makes sense: I'd never noticed the links until they had asked about it. They apparently did used to have links there at some point, and are now missing them!

I'll pass on that there shouldn't be any links there: as far as I can tell, being able to get at things from the dashboard is far more useful anyway.

Glen

There is a section for "Links" that the student has added to their user profile. You can find instructions for students on editing these in this article: How do I edit my profile in my user account as a student?

Outside of that section, I don't recall there ever having been other links for students in the main profile area. There is a tertiary navigation on the right-side that would have various links available depending upon the course configuration.

Thanks - that'll be a good way to give them the option of doing what they can't have! 

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @glen_campey  Welcome to the Canvas Community, and thanks for posting your question here.  It seems to me that this is by design.  When I am logged in as an admin/instructor in my sandbox course, I click on a student's name within "People", I can see his "Enrollments" (the classes and groups he is currently assigned to) and also the "Memberships" area (as outlined here: How do I view a user's profile in a course as an instructor?).  The "Memberships" area seems to include more settings such as concluding memberships and privileges that students should not be able to change on their own.  As for why a student would maybe not see the "Enrollments" area on his/her screen?  This is only a guess...but maybe it's because that list of items are the courses that he/she is already enrolled in, and that student can get to those areas of Canvas by using the "Courses" and the "Groups" menus within the left hand side global navigation.

I hope this helps, Glen.

Chris Hofer wrote:

As for why a student would maybe not see the "Enrollments" area on his/her screen?  This is only a guess...but maybe it's because that list of items are the courses that he/she is already enrolled in, and that student can get to those areas of Canvas by using the "Courses" and the "Groups" menus within the left hand side global navigation.

That's basically what I was thinking, too. Many teachers won't normally have access to the "larger" profiles of students, but there are times when it is needed for them to have access to some of that information. My guess is basically the same as yours, that it's a way to give teachers that access without duplicating it unnecessarily.

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@glen_campey ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie