cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JACOBSEN_C
Explorer III

Missing math symbols to Respondus quiz bank imports.

One of our instructors is running into an issue when importing quiz banks from Respondus.  Imports are not including math symbols, and the html of imported questions looks to be reaching for images where these characters are placed instead of just placing a character (LaTex or otherwise).  Has anyone run into this issue, and can you assist or point us in the right direction for a fix?  Images below/attached may help illustrate.

The  should “ be a “μ

290178_image001.png

The HTML behind...

290179_image002.png

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@JACOBSEN_C ,

First, I want to apologize for your question sitting in the community for so long without a response.

Second, it looks like you have stumped the Canvas Community.  Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.

Robbie

jbagley
Community Member

Hey Clint,

I don't know if this will help, but as far as Respondus goes, I have noticed a couple things: The formatting/file type can influence whether certain things can be imported.  Let me share an example.

I tried to import some division problems involving the division sign (÷).  When I tried to do the import using an RTF file, Respondus didn't like it and it removed/replaced every instance (I forget which).  When I tried it again saved as a docx file, everything imported perfectly.

Similarly, when I tried to import problems with that symbol using CSV formatted as UTF-8, it failed.  On the other hand, when I used regular comma delineated formated, it worked fine.  I don't know if that will solve your problem, as I have never tried to import mu into anything, but it may make a difference.  If you can, I'd definitely recommend using the docx format whenever possible to save as much of the formatting as possible when you import it.  If you're using a CSV, make sure it is a format with as much flexibility as possible (so pick a CSV format without a specific coding like UTF-8).  Hopefully that will help you, if you see this again, or someone else with the same issue.

- - Jason