Mixed/Combined Category Weighting

I have three assignment categories:

1. Projects
  2. Practice Activities
  3. Studio Performance

My course grading scheme is set up in PowerSchool as such:

25% Studio Performance

75% "Total Points" of both Practice Activities and Projects combined

My grades passback from Canvas into PowerSchool correctly, so I don't want to change the categories, but is there any way to set up the category weights in Canvas so that students' total grades will be displayed correctly within Canvas?

[edited for clarity, I hope]

0 Kudos
4 Replies
bbennett2
Navigator II

I'm curious why you don't make your Canvas categories the same as Powerschool? Otherwise, you'd need to split the 75% allotted in Powerschool for Practice + Projects out somehow into the Canvas categories. 

On the Assignments page, click on the three-dot menu in the top right. Then, click on Assignment Groups Weight to enable to aset your percentages.

325000_pastedImage_1.png

Just to clarify:

My assignment categories in both Canvas and Powerschool are:

1. Projects
  2. Practice Activities
  3. Studio Performance

But the weighting is such that student's final grade is 25% Studio Performance, and the rest is "total points" which comprise the other 75% of their grade.

Ah, I see. I forgot that you can have a mixed calculation in Powerschool (which we also use).

As far as replicating in Canvas, I don't think you can do that easily...I would pick one of those categories and weigh it at 75%. Add all assignments into one and the calculated grade stays the same. Since it's total points for the categories in Powerschool, tagging is mainly for sorting and not calculating.

jeffrey_weimer
Surveyor

In the future, you might do better in Canvas to create only two categories.

* Projects + Practice (75%)

* Studio Performance (25%)

As needed, to distinguish assignments in the first category, title the assignment with a suitable prefix. By example

--> Project: Create a Report

--> Practice: Calculate these Values