cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
twassmer
Surveyor II

Mixed peer-reviewed, teacher-reviewed assignments

How can I create a mixed teacher - peer reviewed assignment such as a presentation. Automatically assigned peer reviewers have to know whose presentation they grade but should remain anonymous.

Thanks, Tom

5 Replies
rconroy
Instructure
Instructure

Hi  @twassmer ‌,

This sounds like following the steps in the How do I use peer review assignments in a course? may work, since you can toggle on and off the anonymous feedback option. 

A peer review assignment enables students to provide feedback on another student's assignment submission. Peer reviews are a tool that allows communication between students and can help students master the concepts of a course and learn from each other. Peer reviews can be assigned to show student names or display anonymously.

Could you clarify what you mean by Mixed teacher-peer? Are there multiple teachers in this course?

Thanks for asking! 

twassmer
Surveyor II

Thanks Roxanne! I want to assign half of the points for a presentation by a group of randomly assigned peers, and half by the teacher. Also, as far I understand, student peers can only peer review an online submission of an anonymous peer - so they cannot be assigned to review a certain person's public presentation. I hope I am wrong as this would be neat to do!

Thanks in advance!

Tom

Hmm, Interesting! I read over the guide again and found that it noted the following which may work in your favor.

Your comment: 

Also, as far I understand, student peers can only peer review an online submission of an anonymous peer - so they cannot be assigned to review a certain person's public presentation.

The guide seemed to indicate the following:

When you or a TA create a peer review assignment, you can assign peer reviews manually or you can have Canvas assign them automatically [1]. Group assignments can also be assigned peer reviews.

So I think in theory you can have Peer Reviews not be anonymous, and you can assign students to specific assignments (see the How do I manually assign peer reviews for an assignment? guide), much like you would a group assignment. You are correct, it does need to be an online submission. 

I don't have heaps of experience in this, but it may also benefit to take a look at https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10484-4212253061 and consider a discussion rather than submission assignment? Hopefully we can get a more narrowed down answer for you from others, as well! I'm gonna go ahead and share this with the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/higher-ed?sr=search&searchId=258d6f14-1598-4ff2-9443-625ae976...‌ and https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/k12?sr=search&searchId=a9a04c14-5bd7-4886-ae19-e49d018d87a5&s...‌ places to hopefully get more traction on the matter for you as well. Smiley Happy 

Hi  @twassmer ‌,

I think you can make it happen: using peer review scores and teacher review but it will not be automatic.

From the Peer Review Guide:

You can also assign a rubric to the assignment. If the assignment includes a rubric [2], students must also complete the rubric to complete the peer review. The rubric score is used for an assessment opinion only; you must review the assignment and assign the final grade.

The key will be how you set up the rubric. Remember that students will see the same rubric you do for scoring, so you'll want to be careful NOT to set it up as:

CriteriaRating/Comments
Review from Peer
Review from Teacher

I've run into instances where the instructor included a field for their review in the rubric and then had to give the peer reviewers instructions not to put a rating/comment for that criterion.

Instead detail the exact criteria that makes up the review. Then when you're grading in speedgrader, read the Peer rubric and add those points to yours mentally & manually in the score box.

Good luck,
Cheers - Shar

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@twassmer ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie