Moderated grading, custom grades and student feedback

SMCK
Community Member

Hi

I'm still fairly new to Canvas and I am hoping I don't make a fool of myself with this question.

If moderated grading is used with two graders, one grader acting as a first marker and the other grader acting as a second marker, both graders can add in-text annotations, comments and a grade to submitted work.  During moderation, the final grader can then input a third mark (custom grade) which will on posting be available to students.

Can I just check, if the moderator adds a custom grade and does not add additional in-text annotations or comments, is there any way of making the intext-annotations and comments added by the grader (who was the 1st marker) available to students?

I could be missing a trick here but from what I have tried, if a custom grade is added during moderation, then no feedback is made available to students unless the final grader/moderator adds additional comments.  Is this correct?

What I am trying to work out is whether it is possible to cater for a situation where one grader (1st marker) provides feedback and awards 78%, another grader (2nd marker) awards 68%, and the moderator then awards say 72% as a custom grade.  In such a case, we might want the student to still see the feedback added by either or both of the original graders.  But it appears to me that once a custom grade is added during moderation, only feedback added by the final grader is made available to students.  Is this correct or am I doing something wrong (which is more than possible).

Thanks

Steve

Labels (1)