cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Moderating Dicussions

Jump to solution

Is it possible to set up a discussion in a way where the teacher has to approve student posts?  I work at an alternative school, and bullying has been an issue for some students in discussion posts.  Currently I just edit or delete inappropriate posts, and hope I catch them before other student's see them.  I would love to be able to check the posts before they are published to the discussion thread.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Learner II

There is not currently a way to moderate discussions like that, Kevin. However, that is a great feature request! I would vote for it.  

What you can do now is prevent students from editing discussions in the course settings. This would prevent students from editing or deleting inappropriate comments. That way, you could document the infraction with a screenshot before deleting the problematic post.

In "More Options" on the Course settings page, make sure this option is unchecked:

220283_pastedImage_1.png

I hope that helps!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Learner II

There is not currently a way to moderate discussions like that, Kevin. However, that is a great feature request! I would vote for it.  

What you can do now is prevent students from editing discussions in the course settings. This would prevent students from editing or deleting inappropriate comments. That way, you could document the infraction with a screenshot before deleting the problematic post.

In "More Options" on the Course settings page, make sure this option is unchecked:

220283_pastedImage_1.png

I hope that helps!

View solution in original post

I see this was a question posted a little over a year ago.  Has there been any move on this feature?  I would like to be able to moderate a discussion, i.e. approve the posts BEFORE they are published in a course.  Is there a way to do this?

Community Coach
Community Coach

ltb103@psu.edu, no, right now that isn't possible in Canvas. 

Kona

Surveyor

I need this feature too, for the same reasons. I've been asked to modify a class I already teach to accommodate students in the justice system. One requirement is that students cannot see each other's comments without an instructor seeing them first. I'll be trying to think of a workaround.

Learner II

One solution might be to use an Assignment > Website URL, I guess, and then link to a 3rd party blogging account where the account administrator (you) have the ability to moderate postings.

See this article: Blogging and Canvas | Samuel Merritt University