Highlighted
Community Member

Moving Questions Between Banks

Jump to solution

I have bookmarked several question banks and I would like to move questions into them from a single large bank. When I select a question to move, the bookmarked banks are not listed under "destination question banks". How do I move questions between bookmarked banks? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Member

Thanks kona@richland.edu ! Note that to get the Question Banks, you have to export the entire course and then import just the question banks (and your only export options are "quizzes" and "entire course", for some reason). So, if you have additional questions that you have developed in a question bank (that you didn't use in a quiz, but might in the future), you won't get those when you export quizzes. (Edited to add: I just did this - export entire course, import just question banks - and it was pretty quick and , as far as I can tell, went smoothly.)

This seems like a "feature" that should be noted explicitly in the Canvas Guides. Telling us we can move questions between question banks, when we actually can't -- only between some banks -- is extremely useful to know. It would be good to know this, say, before developing extensive question banks in a course that you might want to use in future courses and so might want to have a common repository for your question banks.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Surveyor

nelson.179@osu.edu, greetings! Were you ever able to figure out the answer to this question? I did some testing and the only way you can copy questions from one question bank to another is if they are located in the same course; the bookmarking functionality has no impact on this. So short answer, you can't move questions between bookmarked question banks unless they are located in the same course. If you would like to get them into the same course, you could download them from one course and import it into the other course. 

I hope this information helps!

Kona

Highlighted
Community Member

Thanks kona@richland.edu ! Note that to get the Question Banks, you have to export the entire course and then import just the question banks (and your only export options are "quizzes" and "entire course", for some reason). So, if you have additional questions that you have developed in a question bank (that you didn't use in a quiz, but might in the future), you won't get those when you export quizzes. (Edited to add: I just did this - export entire course, import just question banks - and it was pretty quick and , as far as I can tell, went smoothly.)

This seems like a "feature" that should be noted explicitly in the Canvas Guides. Telling us we can move questions between question banks, when we actually can't -- only between some banks -- is extremely useful to know. It would be good to know this, say, before developing extensive question banks in a course that you might want to use in future courses and so might want to have a common repository for your question banks.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Surveyor

hasti@cs.wisc.edu, thank you for this clarification! I was also confused by this and appreciate that you added this feedback to the guide for copying question banks.

Have a great weekend!

Kona