cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Moving RSS feed announcements

Jump to solution

I have Business/Economics news alerts as RSS feeds that I've added to my announcement streams, but I don't want them filling student inboxes with emails.

I'd rather there was...

• a weekly summary emailed
  • an assignment that they are expected to check weekly that contains the latest feed posts (and the assignment might track when students entered the assignment and how long they were there)
  • some other space that hosts RSS feeds that doesn't mean students get email notifications

I think there must be a better way of me doing this - probably a nifty trick I have forgotten...

Thanks in advance for any advice received!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Member

Hi drimmer@bromsgrove-school.co.uk‌! The RSS-in-Announcements feature at Canvas is pretty limited (I really wish they had developed that feature more fully, but I am guessing that they see just how little RSS is understood/used by most educators, and they just decided to leave it as a kind of primitive feature). Luckily, though, there are other kinds of syndication options. If you search the Community here for Inoreader, you will find lots of mentions by me: I use Inoreader to create all kinds of RSS feeds that appear in my Canvas courses, most importantly my students' blogs and, starting now, their semester projects (for which I use Diigo RSS). Here's a search of the Community for Inoreader, and if you have any questions, let me know!

https://community.canvaslms.com/search.jspa?q=inoreader 

Basically Inoreader lets you subscribe to feeds, put them in folders (multiple feeds in a folder is how I create my student blog network), and then export out the folder feed as RSS or as HTML... it is the HTML option that makes it so useful in Canvas!

As for weekly summaries and getting students to engage with the content in question, the way I do that is by offering a little extra credit assignment for students to read through the past week's announcements and post their favorite item in their blog. That is useful extra credit for them (they keep up with the announcements, and since I do daily announcements, I don't really even expect people to read them all), and it is also useful for me. When I see what they pick as their favorite items, then I get a better sense of what kinds of things they like to see. Here's that assignment:

Online Course Wiki / Backup and Review

I don't know if it would be of interest to you or not, but I do my class announcements as a blog, and I just display that blog inside Canvas; you can see how that works here at one of my classes (classes are all open):

Daily Announcements: MLLL-3043-995 

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

Hi drimmer@bromsgrove-school.co.uk‌! The RSS-in-Announcements feature at Canvas is pretty limited (I really wish they had developed that feature more fully, but I am guessing that they see just how little RSS is understood/used by most educators, and they just decided to leave it as a kind of primitive feature). Luckily, though, there are other kinds of syndication options. If you search the Community here for Inoreader, you will find lots of mentions by me: I use Inoreader to create all kinds of RSS feeds that appear in my Canvas courses, most importantly my students' blogs and, starting now, their semester projects (for which I use Diigo RSS). Here's a search of the Community for Inoreader, and if you have any questions, let me know!

https://community.canvaslms.com/search.jspa?q=inoreader 

Basically Inoreader lets you subscribe to feeds, put them in folders (multiple feeds in a folder is how I create my student blog network), and then export out the folder feed as RSS or as HTML... it is the HTML option that makes it so useful in Canvas!

As for weekly summaries and getting students to engage with the content in question, the way I do that is by offering a little extra credit assignment for students to read through the past week's announcements and post their favorite item in their blog. That is useful extra credit for them (they keep up with the announcements, and since I do daily announcements, I don't really even expect people to read them all), and it is also useful for me. When I see what they pick as their favorite items, then I get a better sense of what kinds of things they like to see. Here's that assignment:

Online Course Wiki / Backup and Review

I don't know if it would be of interest to you or not, but I do my class announcements as a blog, and I just display that blog inside Canvas; you can see how that works here at one of my classes (classes are all open):

Daily Announcements: MLLL-3043-995 

View solution in original post

Highlighted

You are awesome - I found your advice just after I'd published my question.

I've used Feedwind as it meets my needs, but I'm really glad you've told me of a fancier version. I'll investigate when I do more with RSS!

Highlighted

Yes, Feedwind works great if you are just looking a quick syndication tool!

If you want to get into the bigger RSS business of running a student blog network and/or using rules and filters to create customized syndication feeds, Inoreader is amazing. I'm always glad to answer questions. 🙂

Highlighted

I do have another RSS question though - do you know how I can remove old RSS announcements en masse?

I've copied a course and it has last year's news posts: I don't want to click to select hundreds of posts...

Thanks in advance!

Highlighted

That is a really good question, and I do not know the answer since I do not use the announcements area of Canvas. I bet chofer@morainepark.edu‌ or kblack@dom.edu‌ might know the answer to that, so I'm pinging them here.

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi drimmer@bromsgrove-school.co.uk...

I'm not sure if this would meet all your needs, but have you tried using the "Feed The Me" LTI tool in your Canvas course(s)?  You'd need to have a Twitter account to do the initial setup, but after that, you'd be able to put this LTI into your course(s).  Here's the information: Edu App Center: Feed The Me 

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, drimmer@bromsgrove-school.co.uk...

I noticed that it's been about two months since there's been any new activity in this discussion topic, and so I wanted to check in with you.  It looks like laurakgibbs‌ has given you some good help here.  Did you happen to see my reply as well?  Also, is there an above response that you could mark as "Correct"?  Or, are you still looking for some help/suggestions as it relates to your initial question?  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't keep you or others from posting additional questions related to this topic below.  I hope that's alright with you.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon, Dr. Rimmer.

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels