cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maronded
Community Member

Multi-part formula question?

Jump to solution

I am creating a question for a quiz using the formula-style question, so specific values will vary among students.  Is there a way to ask multiple questions from the same set of generated values?  Part A, part B, etc.?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
James
Navigator II

@maronded 

No, this is not currently possible using the formula question type.

Each question is independent of other questions. This is true of all questions, not just formula question types.

Some people will try to say that you can do this with the stimulus question in New Quizzes, but you cannot. You cannot use a formula question as a stimulus question and there is no way to specify values in the stimulus question that trickle down and can be used in the question under it. This goes back to each question is independent and self-contained and cannot share information with other questions.

There is a feature idea open for this and a discussion of the work-arounds: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/2363-new-quizzes-multiple-answers-in-a-formula-question 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jcarpenter1
Navigator

Hello  @maronded  , and welcome to the Community.  I'm sorry that it has taken so long for someone to answer your question.  If you haven't figured it out, you might want to check this out.  How do I create a Formula question in New Quizzes?  

If I understand your question correctly, I would try to copy the original question, but rewrite the variable.  I hope that makes sense.

Please reach out again if you have any more questions.

James
Navigator II

@maronded 

No, this is not currently possible using the formula question type.

Each question is independent of other questions. This is true of all questions, not just formula question types.

Some people will try to say that you can do this with the stimulus question in New Quizzes, but you cannot. You cannot use a formula question as a stimulus question and there is no way to specify values in the stimulus question that trickle down and can be used in the question under it. This goes back to each question is independent and self-contained and cannot share information with other questions.

There is a feature idea open for this and a discussion of the work-arounds: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/2363-new-quizzes-multiple-answers-in-a-formula-question 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
sumfield
Surveyor

I was about to ask the same question.  Has there been any change since July, or is this still not possible?

Thanks,

Mike