cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
charlejm
Community Member

Multiple Due Dates/Same Assignment

Jump to solution

How do I create multiple due dates with the same assignment? For example, uploading sketchbook images each week.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @charlejm  Welcome to the Canvas community!

There is no way to do that with the current Canvas functionality. There is a feature idea for this for Discussions, but I do not see a similar idea for assignments. You can review and vote on the existing idea at https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1555-multiple-due-dates-checkpoints-for-discussions . However, this doe not help you with your current need.

What I, and many others, do is create a grading rubric with criteria that reflect the separate components of an assignment that due at different times; i.e., first draft */1, second draft 8/7, final draft 8/14. Or, in your example a set of week One criteria, Week Two, Week Three etc. Then students are awarded the appropriate points for each weekly submission, and the assignment score is cumulative throughout the term.

You can learn more about grading Rubrics in the Rubric Chapter of the Canvas Instructor Guide.

Kelley

View solution in original post

5 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @charlejm  Welcome to the Canvas community!

There is no way to do that with the current Canvas functionality. There is a feature idea for this for Discussions, but I do not see a similar idea for assignments. You can review and vote on the existing idea at https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1555-multiple-due-dates-checkpoints-for-discussions . However, this doe not help you with your current need.

What I, and many others, do is create a grading rubric with criteria that reflect the separate components of an assignment that due at different times; i.e., first draft */1, second draft 8/7, final draft 8/14. Or, in your example a set of week One criteria, Week Two, Week Three etc. Then students are awarded the appropriate points for each weekly submission, and the assignment score is cumulative throughout the term.

You can learn more about grading Rubrics in the Rubric Chapter of the Canvas Instructor Guide.

Kelley

View solution in original post

charlejm
Community Member

Hi Kelley,

Thank you for the quick reply. Would you possibly have an example of your suggestion?

Thanks

Jim

Hi again

Here is just a quick sample I worked up for you. Simply create criteria desired, for the numbers of weeks desired, and grade the appropriate week's section of the criteria each week.

321794_pastedImage_1.png

You can get as extensive and specific as necessary for each week's criteria, and you are only limited by your own imagination. This is easy from your end, but the true key to the success of going this route, is clear communication with your students. And, while you are creating the assignment and the rubric once, your student can submit to the same assignment each week. Here is a screenshot showing the exact same assignment added to each weekly module in one of my sandboxes.  This example assignment is worth 100 point, the students can receive up to ten points each week in this example - of course, you can use whatever grading scheme and point values work for you.

321795_pastedImage_2.png

Then in the assignment instructions, you make this whole thing very clear to them. My details of course, are very brief because this is just a sample to show you how.

321796_pastedImage_3.png

I hope that all of this makes sense.

Kelley

Thank you, Kelley

ajdeeley
Surveyor II

I am currently working through this problem for journal submissions--one assignment, many submissions.  I would rather not have to reduplicate a single assignment and apply different due dates.  They best way to go (which is not available at the moment) would be: when adding an additional due date to an assignment, select the the same user/group ("everyone" for example) in the "assign to" drop down.  That would be the end of it, but it doesn't work that way because once a user/group is selected, that user/group disappears from the drop down in the additional due date box.

I can't think of a reason why that "must" be.