cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Multiple Instructors in One Course

I was wondering if there was a way to have multiple instructors in one course, each teaching a separate section, and anything that they did (change due dates, add course content, etc.) only affected their section and not the course as a whole?

4 Replies
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Hi ethan@leadcma.org Welcome to the world-wide Canvas community!  People use sections for a variety of reasons, and you can see somewhat of a run-down of limitations in the blue area at the top of this page:  How do I limit a user to only interact with other users in the same course section? But to directly answer your question, yes you can have multiple instructors in a course, though depending on how the course is taught sections may or may not be the answer.  (So much for a definitive answer! Smiley Happy  )

Basically, CONTENT (such as pages but also non-graded discussions that do not have a due date) will be able to be viewed by ALL users of the course.  On the other hand, below is a listing of pages where you CAN limit specific assignments to a specific section of students:

Be aware that both instructors will be able to view the ENTIRE gradebook by default (which again could be a "minus," depending on how the course is taught), though one CAN limit viewing a gradebook by a specific section, as well:  How do I use the Gradebook? (see the Filter Students heading on that page).

I hope this helps a wee bit.  Others in the Community may offer some of their own experiences. 

Highlighted
Community Member

Hi, ethan@leadcma.org‌.

You mention "add course content". It sounds like the sections may be independent of each other. Perhaps the sections should be separate courses in Canvas, rather than being under a single course shell.

Best,
Nelson

Highlighted
Explorer

If you are using a sis import, you can set them up as detached and each will have their own sections with control over thier own content. Do they all need to see a common grade book with their content ( say quizzes) counting to a final grade?

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

ethan@leadcma.org,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie