cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

Multiple Points on quiz-students earning zero instead of partial credit

Jump to solution

I just gave a 25 point quiz this morning and had a few multiple point questions.  Students were asked to select three correct answers.  If they selected one correct answer but chose incorrect choices for the other two correct answers, they were awarded zero credit.  I would rather they get partial credit 1/3 points.  Also, if they selected one correct answer but did not select another answer (left two blank), they were awarded 1 out of the three points.  Am I not clicking on something I should be clicking on to award partial credit?  Or, is this not an option right now.

Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Member

Shannon,

I believe that is the default way Canvas handles multiple answer questions.  This guide, How do I create a Multiple Answers quiz question? , contains a note at the bottom that states, "This question type awards a fraction of the points available for each correct answer selection and subtracts an equivalent fraction for incorrect answer selection."

You will have to go in and manually overwrite each question if you want to update it to award some points.

Here's a related feature idea that is currently under consideration if you want to add your voice/vote there:

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

Shannon,

I believe that is the default way Canvas handles multiple answer questions.  This guide, How do I create a Multiple Answers quiz question? , contains a note at the bottom that states, "This question type awards a fraction of the points available for each correct answer selection and subtracts an equivalent fraction for incorrect answer selection."

You will have to go in and manually overwrite each question if you want to update it to award some points.

Here's a related feature idea that is currently under consideration if you want to add your voice/vote there:

View solution in original post

Highlighted

I have just the opposite need. I have multiple answer questions, but I want the option to score these questions as either full point or no points. In other words, if the question is worth 1 point, and it has 3 choices that are correct, if someone choose just one, I want them to get 0 points, NOT 0.33 points.

PLEASE add this setting. Not all instructors have the same grading philosophy.

Thank you!

Highlighted

obrienja@oregonstate.edu​, our health professions faculty desperately want this feature and there was already a feature idea for it - - that was voted on and responded to by Instructure. My guess is that it might (hopefully) get addressed during the total overhaul Canvas is doing to their quizzes -Canvas Studio: Modern Quizzing Engine. My recommendation is to comment on both the feature idea and the Modern Quizzing Engine discussion (explaining why this feature is much needed!), as well as follow them (that way you'll be alerted to updates).

Highlighted
Community Member

I am new to Canvas but not new to online teaching.  I was surprised to see that Canvas doesn't allow partial credit on a Multiple Answer question with several right answers. 

I haven't tried this yet, but I will soon... One possibility is to create several single point and single answer, multiple choice questions from the existing Multiple Answer question.  That's my Plan B.  Plan A, that I will try soon, is to change the Multiple Answer question to a Matching Question.  My existing Multiple Answer question is worth two points and has two right answers.   I will change this into a two-question Matching question (with the two right answers in the list of choices) and all the wrong answers will be used as "distractor" answers.  As I said, I haven't tried this yet, but I had the idea as I was reading this thread, so I'm tossing it out there now, hoping it will work.