cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amoody1
Surveyor

Multiple attempts per problem and allow unique feedback per attempt

Jump to solution

When creating a formula question for math or science (I teach physics) I would like to allow multiple attempts per problem. I don't think this is a feature in Canvas but here is why it is needed. A good learning environment allows for a learner to attempt a problem and if wrong then reevaluate to try to identify what they did wrong and fix it. This process of corrective self learning is extremely valuable to problem solving skills.

So in short 1) Add multiple attempts per problem, not just quiz; and 2) Allow unique feedback per attempt which allows the teacher to give tiered feedback trying to help guide the learner if they do need multiple attempts.

By the way, Moodle has these features but my district is going with Canvas.

The idea is if the student solves the problem and gets it wrong they don't have to do a whole other quiz to work on that learning objective. The teacher should be able to see how many tries it takes for a student to get a problem. If after the allowed amount of tries the student is still wrong then they can retake that quiz if so desired. Also, after each incorrect answer a unique feedback should be able to be provided. This allows the teacher to give increasingly helpful hints as the student struggles.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Member

Hi  @amoody1  Welcome to the Canvas Community. You bring up a very interesting idea that I cannot exactly answer, but for which I can start pointing out other resources within this great Community.  First, Canvas is currently supporting a legacy version of quizzes and a newer version called Quizzes.Next.  If you're not sure which one your institution is using, here are a few video overviews where you will be able to tell rather quickly:

•  
  •  

Because of this, no more development is taking place on the legacy version of quizzes (the first link); all future development is being concentrated on Quizzes.Next.  I encourage to join the following group within this community to keep an eye on developments for Quizzes.Next:  Quizzes.Next User Group .  To join, follow that link and at the upper-right of the screen, click the Action drop-down menu and then Join Group.

Finally, you can vote "up" Feature Ideas or create your own.  The one idea that I could find that somewhat matches your idea--though I admit not exactly--is this one:  https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/4709-carry-forward-correct-answers-on-quiz-multiple-attempts .  It is still available for voting and I encourage you to vote it up and comment on it.  If you find your idea should be a separate one, you can create your own Feature Idea by following these instructions:  How do I create a new feature idea in the Canvas Community?  

I hope this helps a bit, Alex, even if it's not a solution to your issue.  That said, we're always here to assist you as you're learning the ins and outs of Canvas.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
kblack
Community Member

Hi  @amoody1  Welcome to the Canvas Community. You bring up a very interesting idea that I cannot exactly answer, but for which I can start pointing out other resources within this great Community.  First, Canvas is currently supporting a legacy version of quizzes and a newer version called Quizzes.Next.  If you're not sure which one your institution is using, here are a few video overviews where you will be able to tell rather quickly:

•  
  •  

Because of this, no more development is taking place on the legacy version of quizzes (the first link); all future development is being concentrated on Quizzes.Next.  I encourage to join the following group within this community to keep an eye on developments for Quizzes.Next:  Quizzes.Next User Group .  To join, follow that link and at the upper-right of the screen, click the Action drop-down menu and then Join Group.

Finally, you can vote "up" Feature Ideas or create your own.  The one idea that I could find that somewhat matches your idea--though I admit not exactly--is this one:  https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/4709-carry-forward-correct-answers-on-quiz-multiple-attempts .  It is still available for voting and I encourage you to vote it up and comment on it.  If you find your idea should be a separate one, you can create your own Feature Idea by following these instructions:  How do I create a new feature idea in the Canvas Community?  

I hope this helps a bit, Alex, even if it's not a solution to your issue.  That said, we're always here to assist you as you're learning the ins and outs of Canvas.

View solution in original post

Ken.

I am only using New Quizzes since the legacy quizzes will eventually be phased out. I am new to Canvas and didn't want to learn two similar but different assessment formats. I will follow your advice and be active in the New Quizzes community. I see there is an update coming out on the 17th of August I think and hopefully some good things will come with that.

I will explain the work-around I will be implementing for now but let me give my reasoning first. Traditionally I would assign several problems for a single homework assignment. This worked well with my previous grade book format but Canvas allows me to do something better. Now I will align learning standards (objectives) which can be attached to each quiz/question. Instead of a 10 question homework set it will be 3-4 separate assignments, each with a few questions about a single problem. This serves to break the homework down into smaller pieces for the student (and shows in the grade book better growth per learning standard) as well as the allowing the student to "re-take" the smaller bit-sized assignments as if they have multiple attempts per problem.

Here is an example of a single "problem" in a homework assignment. The problem has a stimulus stem with 3 questions attached. In the future I hope to have multiple formula style questions sharing the same variables but that's another topic. Combining shared variables and correct answered being saved from previous attempts would makes this almost perfect.

Thank you for your comments and timely response,

Alex

319664_Capture.PNG

astolle
Surveyor

I also had a humanities teacher request the same option

LauraFIU_IDT
Surveyor II

The type of functionality and learning described is VERY LACKING in any new quiz feature I've seen yet. This is essential for medical education in many ways. I would love to see both multiple attempts per quiz question AND options of feedback. As well as, the option to have unique point values per attempt. Help! Create Something!