cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jpsych_74015
Community Member

Multiple children to observe

Jump to solution

I have multiple children to observe as a parent. Is there some way to seperate them inorder to make keeping track of which students class material/grade I am observing? For instance I have 2 children in the same grade, taking the same class with the same teacher but at different times. When I look on my dashboard I see the shared class as only 1 with information from 1 of my children. Any help is appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
klundstrum
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @jpsych_74015 ‌ ~

Do you have all of your students linked to your Observer account? The best place to verify this is through your settings. First, click Account then Settings then Observing. On this page, you'll see a list of all of the students that are connected to your account. If you are missing someone, you will need their pairing code(s), and you can enter that information on this screen as well.

Last year, I wrote A Letter To Canvas Observers‌, and I offered some tips for families who observer multiple students from a single account. Here is a selection I think you'd find especially helpful:

Depending on how many students you follow and how many courses your students are enrolled, the dashboard can become overwhelming. You have a few options to streamline this experience though!

• You may adjust the nickname for each course. That way, you can include each child's first initial or name ahead of the course name (ie: K US History).
  • Another option is to color code the course cards so all of child #1's courses is one color, all of child #2's courses is a second, etc...

If you have time to explore more in the Canvas Community, there are two Feature Ideas which are open for voting that I'd like to share with you: Parents: toggle view between children and Include Student Name in Observer Notifications. If either or both of these ideas are relevant to your Canvas experience, it would be really valuable if you voted and/or added a comment!

As you seek to simplify your Observer experience, there may be another option for you. With the Canvas Parent App, you are able to follow all of your students and keep their courses separate. You can even create customized  notifications and assignment reminders on a student-by-student basis. The app is free in the Apple Store and on Google Play. While the app doesn't have all of the features as web, it's awesome for keeping track of progress, a list upcoming assignments, and initiating conversations at home. Just be sure to check with your institution to make sure this is enabled before diving in. This is because each school district can decide whether or not to make the app available for their observers.

If you have any follow up questions, please reply! I'd be happy to help you navigate the Observer role.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
klundstrum
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @jpsych_74015 ‌ ~

Do you have all of your students linked to your Observer account? The best place to verify this is through your settings. First, click Account then Settings then Observing. On this page, you'll see a list of all of the students that are connected to your account. If you are missing someone, you will need their pairing code(s), and you can enter that information on this screen as well.

Last year, I wrote A Letter To Canvas Observers‌, and I offered some tips for families who observer multiple students from a single account. Here is a selection I think you'd find especially helpful:

Depending on how many students you follow and how many courses your students are enrolled, the dashboard can become overwhelming. You have a few options to streamline this experience though!

• You may adjust the nickname for each course. That way, you can include each child's first initial or name ahead of the course name (ie: K US History).
  • Another option is to color code the course cards so all of child #1's courses is one color, all of child #2's courses is a second, etc...

If you have time to explore more in the Canvas Community, there are two Feature Ideas which are open for voting that I'd like to share with you: Parents: toggle view between children and Include Student Name in Observer Notifications. If either or both of these ideas are relevant to your Canvas experience, it would be really valuable if you voted and/or added a comment!

As you seek to simplify your Observer experience, there may be another option for you. With the Canvas Parent App, you are able to follow all of your students and keep their courses separate. You can even create customized  notifications and assignment reminders on a student-by-student basis. The app is free in the Apple Store and on Google Play. While the app doesn't have all of the features as web, it's awesome for keeping track of progress, a list upcoming assignments, and initiating conversations at home. Just be sure to check with your institution to make sure this is enabled before diving in. This is because each school district can decide whether or not to make the app available for their observers.

If you have any follow up questions, please reply! I'd be happy to help you navigate the Observer role.

View solution in original post

Thank you so much for replying! 

I do have all 3 of my kids set up as observing. The color code and the nick name option sounds very helpful. I am not sure how to do that, is there someplace that has instructions? 

I like both the features you mentioned and intend to vote/comment. Thank you for pointing that out for me.

I have the parent app and use it fine. However, it doesn’t alert me to assignments created, due dates and such that help me be in the know;)

Additionally, I have noticed that in 1 class my girls share that there is only 1 box for that class/teacher. It looks like I should be able to change the student to view both students.  However, it is not working, I can switch her name but it doesn’t actually switch the grades. Is there someway to separate this into 2 class boxes? One for each girl?

Thank You for your help!!!

Of course! I'm glad that you found some of the things I shared to be helpful! Smiley Happy

From the Card View Dashboard, you can color code and nickname the courses. (Let me know if the directions shared in the guide need clarifying!)

On Canvas Parent, there are some options for customization on a student-by-student basis. This guide will walk you through all of that: How do I set alerts for a student in the Canvas Parent app? With three children, receiving an alert any time content is created could be a little overwhelming with the email notifications, but it is possible This guide will help you adjust the email notifications (not Canvas Parent alerts): How do I set my Canvas notification preferences?

With the last option, I'd reach out to your district's Canvas Administrator. You can submit a ticket and explain your issue. They'll be able help you more efficiently than the Canvas Community can as each district sets up and manages their instance of Canvas slightly different. This guide will get you there: How do I get help with Canvas?