cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
skhagen
Surveyor

Multiple copies (x50!!) of quiz question in question bank? Why???

I work with an instructor who moved his quiz questions into a Final Exam question bank. Canvas then created 50 copies of each of his questions, giving him over 1000 questions where there should be 50.

Does anyone have any idea why this would have happened? He is using the randomize from question group feature to pull in the 50 questions from the midterm and what's supposed to be the 50 questions from the final.

There are 0 questions in Unfiled questions.

6 Replies
don_bryn
Surveyor

Hi,  @skhagen ,

Besides the possibility of your instructor finding a bug, perhaps if we knew how he moved his quiz questions in the Final Exam bank we might be able to help.  My first guess was that he somehow accidentally copied multiple times, but I doubt he would have done that 50 times before realizing a mistake!   Please let us know if you find out what happened.

Hi,  @don_bryn , 

I believe he used the move/copy questions feature and kept the box for "keep a copy in this question bank as well" checked. I'm sure he did not hit the button over 1,000 times.

Thanks,

Sara

Hi  @skhagen , sorry I couldn't be of more help.  Have you contacted support?   That sounds more like a bug or kink in the system, and sometimes they can see more of what happened behind the scenes. . .

kimberly_smith1
Explorer III

As someone who is preparing to revamp all of my question banks, this is a very scary development Smiley Sad Has anyone else been experiencing strange question bank activity recently? 

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @skhagen ...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I wanted to check in with you to see if you've had any success in finding a solution to your original question.  Have you had a chance to review all replies above?  Did any of them help to answer your question?  Or, are you still looking for some assistance with your question?  If you feel that one of the above replies has helped to answer your question, please go ahead and mark it as "Correct".  However, if you are still looking for some help, please come back to this thread to post a message below so that someone from the Community might be able to help you.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because there hasn't been any new activity in this thread for almost four months.  However, that will not prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's okay with you, Sara.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

Hi Chris,

I reported this as a bug, but they were unable to figure out why it happened, in part because the instructor had to clean up the course to make it function, and then the evidence was gone. This error didn't repeat itself this semester, so that's a positive development.