cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Multiple graders cannot use rubric in Speedgrader

Is there a change in the way rubric grading works within Speedgrader so that multiple graders can no longer grade different parts of an assignment?  

In the past (as late as October/November 2017) it was no problem for each grader to select a grade from the rubric. The assignment points would be the total of these grades.

However, now when grader one goes to grade problem 1 of the assignment where problem 2 has already been assessed by different grader two, the first grade disappears from the rubric.

We always ensure that the two graders are not grading the same assignment at the same time.  Interestingly, the comments from each grader do not disappear, only the grade chosen from the rubric.

Is there a workaround to this issue? Anyone else experienced the same thing?

Thank you for any feedback

25 Replies
Adventurer

I agree with vkgupta‌ that this feature should not have been removed (nor called a bug). Being able to assign specific parts of a large grading project to specific TAs increases the consistency and equity of the grading process. Having to take a screen shot or write down what was in the rubric so that someone else can add to it is excessively cumbersome.

The issue that was being resolved in the Release Notes was about an instructor clicking the Save button multiple times, and the change was just supposed to prevent someone from clicking Save multiple times in a row. If it is (inadvertently) preventing multiple people from using the same rubric, then I believe Canvas has introduced a new bug (the loss of the feature we are all talking about) in an effort to fix a different bug.

Moderated grading would not be an effective solution since you cannot combine the multiple reviewers grades/comments/etc into one final assessment.

Surveyor

I also agree with vkgupta‌. It seem that the most recent rubric assessment completely replaces the previous comments and assessment made by another grader. I was just testing this today for one of our instructors. This is true regardless of rubrics being used for grading or not. Neither the other graders in the course or the student see anything but the most recent rubric comments.

In the past, this was how rubrics worked as far as I knew. Somewhere in recent weeks/months students could see more than one rubric instance in the gradebook. I witnessed this myself in a course where a teacher thought she had completely lost prior comments, but we found that once she saved an empty version of the rubric, the prior comments were visible to the student from a dropdown menu - they actually could choose between the two versions. That was a big improvement from my perspective.

In fact, this current drop down implies that the student should be able to see multiple rubric assessments, as was my prior experience, even though right now it only displays the most recent (trust me, more than one teacher made rubric submissions on this student's assignment).

screenshot of rubric drop down in impersonated student view - only most recent rubric teacher submission is displayed.

Rubrics, in my opinion, have always been a Canvas weak spot, despite recent updates like the criteria ranges. There's no API to retrieve any data, and they clearly don't support modern collaborative grading practices.

Hi, makraft@umich.edu‌.

There is an API for rubrics (Rubrics - Canvas LMS REST API Documentation).

Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, vkgupta...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I wanted to check in with you because there hasn't been any new activity in this thread since January 24, 2018.  It looks as though you've gotten several responses and some good help from various members of the Canvas Community.  Do you have any outstanding questions as it relates to your initial question?  Do you feel that one of the above responses has ultimately helped to answer your question?  If so, please go ahead and mark that person's answer as "Correct".  However, if you are still looking for some help with this question, please come back here to post an update so that Community members might be able to assist you.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" mainly because we've not had any new activity in this topic for almost four months.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Vinay.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

Community Member

This question was clearly blatantly ignored by Canvas. This is a huge bug that has caused us to lose an entire day worth of grading a very hefty problem set, as having 3 TAs on speed grader at the same time cause everyone's saves to override the other TAs. This is a massive oversight by canvas, as the logical way to grade a large problem set with a rubric is to have multiple TAs each assigned to an individual set of questions, necessitating them to grade the same students simultaneously. 

Not addressing your question, but a quick tip to possibly save you time: the 3 TAs' grades on the rubrics may yet be salvageable. Although the TAs can't see each other's work, someone with teacher access should be able to see the previous versions.

I have instructor access for this particular class. How can I see the previous versions? Do those only include score changes or the complete rubric with individual question scores and comments?

You should be able to view the entire rubric as filled out by the TA by pulling down the menu that says "Show Assessment by" (see screen shot above by Melinda Kraft). However, you can only look at it. You can update it. So if you want to make any changes, you'd have to fill in a whole new rubric again, remembering what the others had marked.

I don't see the "Show Assessment by" option. Here is what I see when I go to Speedgrader: 292922_Screen Shot 2018-10-08 at 2.33.41 PM.png

When I click on the "View Rubric" option to update the rubric, I see this:

292923_Screen Shot 2018-10-08 at 2.35.37 PM.png

The scores/comments currently in the rubric are retained when I go to the "View Rubric" option (it is NOT a blank rubric), so it seems counterintuitive to need to fill those in again since they aren't appearing to be overwritten/erased by the system.

Hmm... I guess the "Show Assessment By" option is only there if you've done "Moderated Grading." In that case, then, I don't know the answer.