cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

Negative point values in rubric.

Jump to solution

I am creating my first rubric in canvas.  From the looks of things a standard rubric would look like - Criteria #1 Full Marks 5 points, Half marks 3 points, No marks 0 points for 5 points total.  In this paradigm, all of the criteria add up to how many points the students earn.  The paper rubric I've been using for years is just the opposite - Criteria #1 No deductions 0 points, Half deduction -3 points, Full Deduction -5 points.

Is this possible?

Thanks much,

Pat Immel

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Hi pimmel@nwmissouri.edu​ - Our Community programming guru james@richland.edu​ provided the definitive answer to this question just last month, and I know this because I tried playing around with responding to it, as well.  Basically, the answer is:  "do not try this," and is dealt with by James in fantastic detail here:  Rubric with Negative Points .  Even though it looks like it might work (which is what I had originally thought), James looked "under the hood" and stated it's not a good idea. 

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Hi pimmel@nwmissouri.edu​ - Our Community programming guru james@richland.edu​ provided the definitive answer to this question just last month, and I know this because I tried playing around with responding to it, as well.  Basically, the answer is:  "do not try this," and is dealt with by James in fantastic detail here:  Rubric with Negative Points .  Even though it looks like it might work (which is what I had originally thought), James looked "under the hood" and stated it's not a good idea. 

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Hey Ken!

Thanks to James and yourself for going under the hood on this one!  Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Pat

Highlighted

To this point, it's important to note the limitations and functionalities of the current system, but I would question why negative rubrics aren't possible -- please consider it as a feature! I'm a Computer Science teacher, and I can't imagine that implementing this would be difficult at all. I'm familiar with some staff where I work that use negative rubrics to great effect, since they're easier to evaluate with the kinds of assignments they have.

Consider this a feature request, I suppose. Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Erich - Canvas does have a process for this. Take a look here: How do I create a new feature idea? 

Highlighted

I would like to subtract points for late work when using a rubric for grading an assignment. I would like the rubric to do the math so that it is easy for a student to see the reason points were deducted for the assignment being late versus the work itself not earning full points. Any suggestions?